Skip to main content

A document has been sent requiring two signatures.  First person signed but before the second person signs, I have a reason to “pause”.  Is there a way to suspend a document in play, and then later decide to void or cancel (or proceed with the signature).

How can I pause a document that has been sent out (without deleting)?

Typically there is no reason to pause a document, however this can be done by Correcting the document - but not completing the correction.  This will result in the second signer receiving a message that the Correction is in progress and not accessible.

If the reason for the pause is because circumstances have changed, it can be voided.

Certain DocuSign plans will allow for Delayed Routing.  If you have that option you can set that for up to 30 days before the envelope is sent to the next recipient.

Typically there is no reason to pause a document, however this can be done by Correcting the document - but not completing the correction.  This will result in the second signer receiving a message that the Correction is in progress and not accessible.

If the reason for the pause is because circumstances have changed, it can be voided.

Thanks J2n….  in this case, we are looking at an offer of employment that may need to be suspended.  I don’t want to delete the document but need to take a bit of time to review some information that has arisen.  I’ll try this -- thank you.

Hi @GE380,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue! 

I would like to know if I can prepare an envelope, but not send it as I am waiting to add more documents to the envelope. I just don’t want to lose the time I have to prepare the documents. 

Hi Beth,

I see two possible scenarios here:

1. You haven’t sent the envelop yet
  2. You’ve already sent the envelope

If you haven’t sent the envelope yet

Prepare your envelope and when you’re done click on ‘SAVE AND CLOSE’ at the bottom right instead of ‘SEND’ 

When ready to send, go to Agreements > See More > Drafts > Find the envelope > Click ‘Continue’ > Click ‘Send

If you’ve already sent the envelope:

You could update the sent envelope after it was sent by correcting it.

During the correction, you add yourself in the recipient workflow so that the envelope stays ‘stuck’ with you until you remove yourself (by correcting the envelope again which would result in the envelope resuming its workflow) or you can void it if you don’t want this transaction anymore.

By doing this, you’re able to ‘pause’ the envelope as you wish.

Sofian Saoudi,
Solusign Consulting - Docusign Partner
Need help with DocuSign?
 🌎  www.solusign.com | 📧 sofian@solusign.com | 📺 Follow me on YouTube  

Of course! Thank you! I was afraid to move forward because I was afraid I couldn’t go back, but I forgot it gives you the option to save at the end. I have one last question: Can I still edit, as in adding more documents to the envelope, after I’ve “saved and closed?”

Thank you kindly!!

Yes, you can do whatever you want in a draft, including updating the documents and you can also do that in a ‘sent’ envelope as long as nobody’s signed it yet.

You’re welcome ;)

Feel free to select ‘best’ answer if that was helpful!

Sofian Saoudi,
Solusign Consulting - DocuSign Partner
Need help with DocuSign?
 🌎  www.solusign.com | 📧 sofian@solusign.com | 📺 Follow me on YouTube  

Hi @Beth E.,

I agree with @sofian_solusign. To complement his answer, you can find more details on how to save a draft and how to correct an envelope, here:

Preview and Send

Edit draft envelopes

Correct an Envelope

For the scenario in which you would add documents after creating the envelope, you can do this through a correction in Manage>Sent>Actions>Correct.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge @sofian_solusign, your input is much appreciated.

To @Beth E.,I hope this helps, don’t hesitate in sharing any other questions or concerns you may have, we will happily look into them as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!