Skip to main content
Solved

DocuSign Gen for Salesforce document rule using field on related object

• 3 September 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I’m testing out DocGen for Salesforce and have been really impressed by the tool so far. The process is pretty smooth and easy to use, but I’m wondering about the flexibility of “Document Rules” under the “Upload Documents” step. As I understand it, these are designed to give you some conditional logic for dynamically deciding what documents are generated based on field data in the primary object. However, I’m wondering if there is any way to build rules that reference field data from related (parent or child) objects. In my case, the object I’m using is a junction for multiple related objects, so it doesn’t have all the field data immediately available. This was fine when building the document itself, but it doesn’t seem like I can reference any of those related objects for the purposes of a document rule.

For example, my primary object (Contract) is related to the Product object, which contains data about the “type” of document I want to generate. If the type = A, I want to generate contract A, but if it’s B, I would generate contract B. At this point, this doesn’t seem possible (outside of adding formula fields on the primary object that pull data; which I would prefer to avoid). Am I understanding this correctly? Are there any suggested workarounds or plans to implement this feature?  

Hello @zgoldberg,

Thank you for reaching out here. We want to welcome you to the Docusign Community. I appreciate you bringing your question to this Community, and we are committed to providing you with the best service possible.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you. To better assist you, can you provide the current version of the Docusign for Salesforce package that you are using? Docusign for Salesforce - What Version of Docusign eSignature for Salesforce Am I Using?

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some of the options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Thanks, @Christopher.Alpizar

I’m using Docusign Apps Launcher v6.9. It should be noted that I’m in a Salesforce sandbox environment and using a demo version of the Docusign Gen along with a demo Docusign account.

Best,

Zach

Hello @zgoldberg,

Thank you for reaching back. There are a variety of ways though to filter child/related list data, you can use the SuppressTableRow tag if it’s a table being generated or you could use a Repeat tag to cycle through related list records, and have a Conditional tag nested within it to control whether or not data is produced for the record type you are looking for. More information at Docusign Gen for Salesforce Admin Guide.

I recommend you speak with your Docusign Account Executive if your account has one to set up a meeting with an Engagement Manager to scope a Professional Services engagement. You can also create a case with Docusign Support and have a Salesforce Specialized agent review the current workflow, please provide a diagram or condensed writeup of what the source object is and how the data you need in the document is related to the source object.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.