Skip to main content
Question

Document name issue after signature

• 12 September 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to fix this filename issue? In the workflow, I moved a document that was manually uploaded to CLM into a specific folder and included it in the signable documents for the send-for-signature step. The issue is that after the recipient signs the document and it's converted to PDF, the signer receives a copy with the ".docx" extension in the filename. This problem only occurs with manually uploaded documents in CLM, not with documents generated by CLM. Does anyone know how to remove the ".docx" extension after the document is converted to PDF?

Thank you in advance!

@alexisdg 

You could do a file rename in the CLM workflow after the signature step or change the name in the Docusign eSignature Web App after you manually uploaded the document to the envelope, so it will be correct from the beginning.

Thanks for the suggestion! However, using the 'Rename Document' step in the workflow won't change the file name that the recipient receives, as it's done after the 'Send for Signature' step. Also, regarding the manual upload, I'm not uploading the document in eSignature, it's being uploaded in CLM, and the workflows handle moving it to the appropriate place.

If you are using the Send for Signature step in workflow, ensure you are using the document ID as the variable for the document rather than a folder path or document name. Also, if you rename the document before you send it out, be sure not to include the “.docx” in the naming convention. Simply use “DocumentName~tx]” This expression will keep the filename format and will remove this issue you are having.

Thank you for the suggestion, but unfortunately, it didn’t resolve the issue. I tried renaming the document using the "DocumentName~ex]" format, but it still didn’t work. Additionally, I used the docID variable as the document in the Send for Signature step, but the copy I received still has the filename as "DocumentName.docx.pdf". The ".docx" is still being appended to the file before it is converted to PDF.

Here is how I renamed the document:

This is how I set up the doc id variable as the document in send for signature step:

And this is what the copy document looks like after completing the eSignature task.

In CLM, the document name is correct, but in the email I receive after completing the eSignature task, it's being renamed as "Alexis Test 0236.docx.pdf".