Skip to main content

When a witness is to sign a document do they have to visibly witness the signer signing (say through facetime) or is the security on the computer enough to verify that the witness has witnessed the signature.

Hello @mckenzie,

Thank you for reaching out here, we want to welcome you to the Docusign Community, I appreciate you bringing your question to this Community.

We are committed to providing you with the best service possible. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, I understand you have some questions about the Witness feature.

When sending an envelope with a witness, the signer provides the witness's information and can include a private message. The witness receives an email notification with the signer's message and must complete identity verification through an SMS text message. Once verified, the witness can view and complete their assigned fields in the document, but cannot access the signed documents afterward. The sender can view the witness information and status in the envelope details. How Witness Signing Works

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some of the options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Many thanks for your reply - so as long as the witness completes an identity verification through the SMS text message the witness does not need to be present/facetime when the signer completes their signatures. Could you please confirm that this is correct. Many thanks Heather.

Hello @mckenzie,

Thank you for reaching back, from the Docusign end yes, because a authentication is being perform, you can also use Knowledge Based Authentication KBA as an authentication method, Knowledge Based Authentication (KBA) is a method used by senders to verify the identity of signers. It involves challenging signers with questions based on their public records, such as their current home address.

DISCLAIMER: The information on this site is for general information purposes only and is not intended to serve as legal advice. Laws governing the subject matter may change quickly, so Docusign cannot guarantee that all the information on this site is current or correct. Should you have specific legal questions about any of the information on this site, you should consult with a licensed attorney in your area.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Hi @mckenzie,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful. If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find. Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Hi Christopher - When using docusign I just need confirmation that a witness does not need to be present when the signer completes their signature. The reply that I got seemed a little confusing.  Confirmation would be much appreciated. Many thanks Heather.

Hi @mckenzie,

I hope you are doing well, they do not need to be present, the witness will receive an email notification requesting them to complete their part on the envelope.

Best regards,

Hi @mckenzie,

I hope you are doing well.

I want to confirm if you need further assistance, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,