Skip to main content

I have run into an issue with a template I am testing, where I am unable to sign it at all, as well as other missing data on the page. There is no error message, but rather the document itself is coming up as if there are no fields assigned to places like the signature (see the second image below). The problem is that I have placed the fields there (see the first image below) and even removed and replaced them to make sure that wasn’t the problem. I can also confirm that the recipient is correct for the fields. It’s almost as if the DocuSign system is just ignoring the fields are there at all. I have other templates that were set up the same way and they are still working as intended. 

My question is, what is going on here and how can I get the document to work?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

@BRein My first question is this a Template you have sent to yourself as an envelope? Is that the second image or is that image just the “view” from inside the Template clicking on the document? 

If the fields are added and assigned to Recipient 1, to test I have to “use” the Template which then creates the new envelope and I set myself as Recipient 1 so when I get the envelope notification I can open the envelope and see fields.

Hi @BRein !

Just from the images that you provided, unfortunately, it’s not so simple to tell what exactly could be happening in this scenario. The issue can be in several places, such as the recipients (order, assigned fields), as well as in the template (version, copy/clone).

Maybe I would start the investigation in the order of the recipients, because if the fields are really there, the platform can't just disappear with them.

Another option would be to test how you are using the template. If you are using the Apply Templates method and are deleting "duplicate recipients" this means you may be deleting the fields as well.

A simple test I would do would be to export this template to a demo account (create a free account here) and perform some tests changing each configuration - this way you wouldn't pay for any envelopes, as the demo environment is free.

If none of this solves it, I’d recommend you open a ticket with the support team and provide them with some information such as templateID.

@BRein My first question is this a Template you have sent to yourself as an envelope? Is that the second image or is that image just the “view” from inside the Template clicking on the document? 

If the fields are added and assigned to Recipient 1, to test I have to “use” the Template which then creates the new envelope and I set myself as Recipient 1 so when I get the envelope notification I can open the envelope and see fields.

Hi David,

The second image is what opens when I sent it to myself as an envelope. There are only 2 recipients for this template, patients and staff, with the one I sent to myself being the patient version. The fields here are all set to patient as well.

If it’s relevant, this template was a copy of an older version that was very similar. The underlying PDF was replaced, as have all the data fields after this issue began to occur. 

Hi BRein!

So, did you copy the template and replace the document? This could be a potential cause reason. When you replace a document, not all fields will stay there.

Since this is the only template affected, my suggestion is to download/export the template and try to upload it to a demo account. By doing this, you’ll be able to check all the properties related to this specific template when you import it into a new account. I mentioned these steps in my first comment.

The idea is to check if this template has all fields set up when you copied and imported it into a new account. If not, I’d strongly recommend you recreate this template.

Hi BRein!

So, did you copy the template and replace the document? This could be a potential cause reason. When you replace a document, not all fields will stay there.

Since this is the only template affected, my suggestion is to download/export the template and try to upload it to a demo account. By doing this, you’ll be able to check all the properties related to this specific template when you import it into a new account. I mentioned these steps in my first comment.

The idea is to check if this template has all fields set up when you copied and imported it into a new account. If not, I’d strongly recommend you recreate this template.

Hi Vinicius,

I actually already have a developer account, which is what I was using to design and test this template. Apologies for any confusion, I’m not familiar with all the naming conventions. The testing I have been doing is through the API service that is set up to send these to patients, just with my email as the destination, so I can see what would actually be sent to someone. 

I’ve gone through and recreated this template from scratch but the problem persists. I’ve downloaded the JSON file but am not sure what to do with it as I haven’t used JSON to edit a DocuSign template before. 

@BRein don’t about the terms.
Since you’re sending by API, this change some points, so now I start to think the issue could be in your API call.

But, talking about the .JSON specifically, you can open this file using any appropriate software and search for “tabs”. All the tabs are organized under the Recipients > Signers layer, like this example below:

Please, check if your .JSON file has all fields. If yes, we can start to think about your API call.

Hi @BRein,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Hi @BRein,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Hi Christopher,

Unfortunately no solution worked. While I was never able to figure out why this was not working, I did find a solution in copying a totally different survey that did work and replacing everything until it was what I intended to send out here.