Skip to main content

I use the same template for signature signing numerous times a day. Today, however, when i “Replaced” the template with the document i wanted to send for signing, it is saving all documents with the template name and i can’t tell the difference between any documents i have sent, since they are all converting to the template name and not the file name. how do i fix this?

Hi @Denise Dodd,

Welcome to the Docusign Community!

We are glad to have you here and can't wait to help share as much knowledge as possible.

I am sorry to hear that your document’s name is being changed when your envelope is sent, but I will assist you in correcting this behavior.

The combined document name will be defined by the envelope’s email subject. 

You may customize the envelope’s email subject during the add recipients step of the envelope creation process in order to manage the resulting document’s name.

For more details on this topic, see:

Add a Message to All Recipients

Use Merge Fields in the Template Email Subject to Customize Envelopes

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using Docusign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

This is not helping at all. I am running into the same issue. When you replace the generic placeholder document the name of the “Complete with Docusign “____________” always would take the file name. Now after another one of your insane updates it stopped working again as it did a few months ago. Can you please revert what ever it is you patched up.. this is killing my workflow and my day.

Hi @FJl7810,

Thank you for following up.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this default subject line might have caused you. 

If using editing the subject line during the envelope creation process or by including it in your templates, are not viable workarounds for your use case, I would recommend looking into editing the account’s Email Resource File to include the changes needed and override this default configuration.

You can find the account’s resource files in Settings>Brands. For detailed steps on how to work with your account’s Email Resource File, see:

DocuSign Email Resource File Guide

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in certain Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic.  

For more information about which options are available for your account, contact your account administrator. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. 

Compare eSignature plans & pricing  

Also, feedback that can improve our users’ experience is always welcome. 

I encourage you to consider submitting your idea to be reviewed by our development team for possible implementation.

If you’re a Docusign Administrator for a corporate plan, you have the additional option of filing your request through a support case, or by reaching out to your Account Team. 

Otherwise, please share your thoughts with our development team by emailing your request to 

feedback@docusign.com.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible.

Best regards,  

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!  

Are you actually telling me something that has worked for almost 10 years I have to go through a 100 page document to try and fix? All I want is the name of my file to change the envelope name that is being sent out to the merchants… Are you actually understanding what I am saying is wrong here? Hundreds of people are all having the same issue.. This doesnt sound like a viable work solution.. it has to be a setting that you removed or something in the last patch. It stopped working 1 week ago.

Hi @FJl7810,

Thank you for reaching back.

I understand your concern; in this scenario the easiest way to customize your subject line would be by doing it manually, or by the use of templates. With this options you can easily customize your subject line based on your new documents. We invite you to share your product suggestions and feature requests on our dedicated ideas page (https://community.docusign.com/ideas), where we can collaborate to shape the future of our product together. You can also request your Account Team to file the request on your behalf, or submit it through a support case, if you are the administrator of a corporate plan.

Regarding the Resource Files option, this allows you to control the default configuration for your account. You can find the Envelope Activation section of the guide in page 46.

As always, don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime and I will lend a hand as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

IDK IF I AM TALKING CHINESE… BUT I NEED HELP WITH THIS. ARE YOU A SUPPORT MEMBER? I need this resolved. I know it has to be something simple you guys changed or a setting that was turned off somehow on a patch. ALL I NEED IS THE TITLE TO CHANGE WHEN THE FILE IS REPLACED IN THE TEMPLATE. CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE 3 SECONDS OF YOUR TIME AND LOOK INTO THIS OR PASS ALONG TO SOMEONE WHO CARES. THANKS.

Hi @FJl7810,

I have reached out to you through a direct message requesting your email address, to open the support case and process your feedback.

Please don’t disclose your email or account number through this thread, as it would break our Community Code of Conduct.

For more details on the Code of Conduct, see:

https://community.docusign.com/site/terms

Best regards,

Hi @Denise Dodd,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!   

@Denise Dodd I found a solution. Edit each of your templates to completely erase (empty out) the “Email Subject” under “Add message.” You will get a red error warning message that reads “Please enter a message subject” but you can ignore it and click “Save and Close.” I’ve included a screenshot below. When I tested “using” the template, it worked: the “Email Subject” auto-populated the actual file names that replaced the placeholder documents from the template.

@Alejandro.Ramos / DocuSign please share this solution with other customers as you see fit.

Hi @bizops1920,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

This is a great way to tackle scenarios where envelopes had a template applied to documents, but it does not address the main roadblock mentioned by @Denise Dodd, where once you have applied the template and uploaded new documents to the envelope these names will not be included in the subject line.

Our engineering team is aware of the issue an is currently assessing the possibility of implementing a solution to this behavior.

If there is a update that fixes this issue, it will be reported to our users through our Release Notes, available below:

Release Notes

Let me know if I can help clarify anything else in the meantime and I will look into it as soon as possible.

Best regards,

I use the same template for signature signing numerous times a day.

Hi @Alejandro.Ramos respectfully, it’s not feasible for end-users to either go into the back-end code (that can change without notice) nor wait for an engineering team to patch (again, with little notice). Emptying out the old subject line at the template level at least fixes the problem immediately. As the original poster @Denise Dodd wrote, it’s a template used daily, which is why the question was posed in this forum; envelopes that haven’t been sent out yet can be corrected manually and past envelopes are a lost cause.

Please note @JohnSantos also found a working solution in another thread, Automatically change email subject:

Yes, something changed in May or June because to the new Brand I think.   The default subject line changed from “Please DocuSign:”    to “Complete with Docusign: “ 

If you change your subject line to “Complete with Docusign:”  it will change automatically and show the new document’s filename. 

Hi @bizops1920,

Your statement is accurate in that changing the template’s subject will override the default configuration for the email notification in eSignature.

This is the easiest way to allow users to set customized email notifications in their templates. And was the answer I provided to @Denise Dodd, along with the option to fully customize the account’s default.

“If using editing the subject line during the envelope creation process or by including it in your templates, are not viable workarounds for your use case, I would recommend looking into editing the account’s Email Resource File to include the changes needed and override this default configuration.”

I also reminded the users following the thread along the way that using templates would be the best way to workaround the issue. Otherwise, customizing the account’s resource file was the last available option.

Let me know if I can help clarify anything else, and I will address your concern as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator