Skip to main content

Hello... I just finished a training with my team and we all sent test eSign requests to each other. We added 2 recipients with a signing order. The first recipient does not have any fields to complete on the documents but was added as "Needs to Sign". When she clicks the link to open the document, she is unable to click Finish so the document will move on to the next person to sign. Any idea why? This is the first time we had this issue.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community.

I understand that your test envelopes were sent to 2 recipients with the need to sign role and no fields, but it won't allow the first recipient to finish.

Does the recipient see a panel similar to the one described in the following link? If yes, then they are required to add a field to the document either by them or by the sender during a correction mode, the Needs to Sign role will always require at least one field on the document or it will not let them continue: https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?language=en_US&bundleId=yca1573855023892&topicId=anf1573854985078.html&_LANG=enus

If the recipient just needs to see the document and not have any action on it, I recommend you use the role "Needs to View".

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Do we know if this is a new issue? We have been sending this way automatically for quite some time now and this is the first i am hearing it as an issue. We have been adding all additional recipients as needs to sign by default just in case they have fields to complete on one of our templates.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching back.

Not that I am aware of. The behavior you are experiencing is the expected one, with the need to sign role the recipient will always need a field even if it is just a Read Only field, otherwise, they will be prompted to add their own fields with the Free-form signing. I recommend the usage of an Approve button in those cases where they don't need to fill out the information, the approval will not appear in the completed document, just on the certificate of completion.

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!