Skip to main content

I am submitting a document for approval and it only needs to be signed by a majority (3 out of 5 people) to be approved. How can I mark a document as completed once the majority has signed/approved the document?

@Andrés Cuesta If you send the envelope to 5 Recipients but only require 3 for the envelope to be considered complete, then you would need to monitor the envelope, wait for the appropriate number of Recipients to sign and correct the envelope to remove the other 2 Recipients who have not yet signed. Removal of the 2 Recipients in this situation would, once the correction was saved, cause the envelope to be completed.

We have done some work with Signing Groups to make certain situations happen where we group 2 people in one Signing Group and then another 2 into another Signing Group and use those Signing Groups as Recipients so that 1 person out of the 2 has to take action. Just providing as an alternative so that constant monitoring wouldn’t be required.

Hi @Andrés Cuesta,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Hi Christopher, we have the same question as the OP.  Right now, manual monitoring for quorum and “correcting” the envelope is our only option, which as you can imagine adds some administrative burden.  I hope there is a proper quorum feature built in the future. 

But even right now if the status can display how many have signed, it would alleviate some of this administrative burden.  Currently, status only displays “Needs to sign”, but displaying something more specific like “3 out of 5 have signed” or “2 out of 5 needs to sign” would be a good visual indicator of progress of the signing process, instead of the constant manual checking.

Use of the signing groups is interesting, but sounds like it only works if one signer is designated that can sign on behalf of the entire group - this would be different if 3 out of 5 need to sign for quorum. 

Hi @J.J. Guerrero,

Thank you for reaching out here, we want to welcome you to the Docusign Community, I appreciate you bringing your feedback to this Community.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this might cause you, but currently, the Signing Groups are the closest option that we offer, however, any feedback that can improve our users’ experience is always more than welcome. 

If you’re a Docusign Administrator for a corporate plan, you have the additional option of filing your request directly when you’re logged into your account. You’ll be able to click the “Give Feedback” button at the bottom of the screen to submit your idea.

Best regards,

I would like to add my voice to the requests for a ‘Majority Approval’ ability on Docusign.  Eg, I would like to send an envelope to 12 people, and once 7 people have signed, the document is approved and can be closed.  Correcting the envelope to remove unwanted signatories is only a work-around, not a solution.  

Hi @LPope,

Thank you for reaching out here, we want to welcome you to the Docusign Community, I appreciate you bringing your feedback to this Community.

Thank you for the information, any feedback that can improve our users’ experience is always more than welcome. 

Best regards,