Skip to main content
Is there an expiration on the docu sign link?

For unauthenticated users, as a security measure, the envelope links in email notifications automatically expire after five clicks or 48 hours. Signers can easily request a new link, or, if they have a DocuSign account, they can access the document by logging into their account, even if the email link has expired.

Is there a default setting in DocuSign to increase the 48 hours to 7 days?

Would increasing the default time harm or impact anything?

There are no settings available that override this behavior. It is a hard and fast rule implemented by DocuSign.

As mentioned, this applies only to recipients where the sender did not include additional authentication methods (Access Code, SMS, Phone, KBA, etc.) to validate the intended recipient is accessing the document. Since anyone with the email link can access the document, this was implemented as a way to minimize unauthorized access to documents when recipients forward emails to unintended parties. Once the link expires, clicking the link allows a fresh link to be sent to the intended recipient.

Thanks 

I have a question about document expiration dates

When would a 3 day expiration actually happen? Three days from when I signed it, on the 9th, or from when it says sent, which seems like an error, the 10th?

Hi, I believe you're talking about the envelope itself expiring which is a completely different topic than the emailed link expiring. The sender can set the envelope to expire after a certain number of days if all parties have not finished signing by that time. It sounds like your sender set a 3 day expiration.

If you signed it on the 9th but the envelope says it was sent on the 10th, that does sound like an error.

Assuming it was sent on the 9th when you signed, and assuming the sender set a 3 day expiration, the envelope would automatically expire and be voided on the 12th around midnight when DocuSign batch processes kick off to handle those expiring envelopes.