Skip to main content

I am a sender drafting an agreement template that requires name and date fields within sentences. This template is being used for bulk sending.

Is it possible to have fields move text as they expand? Otherwise there will be awkward spacing or overlap between the completed field and the rest of the text.

I would appreciate any advice!

That is not possible. The document you upload into DocuSign is locked down and static. The text in that document cannot be re-flowed dynamically based on the text fields' content. The DocuSign fields the signer interacts with are on a separate layer over the base document. You must include enough white space in your document to account for the longest possible text value someone might type into the DocuSign fields.

You might want to set properties on the text fields to limit the max # of characters or make it fixed width.

Regards,

Michael

Another solution that might work, depending on your situation, is to rethink your document. Is it something you can turn into a form type layout. Think of a tax form or many other types of agreements that you've signed. This style works well with DocuSign and looks organized for the recipient. Here's an example: https://demo.docusign.net/Member/PowerFormSigning.aspx?PowerFormId=619db5d0-0340-4a23-8c81-cc920ce98a7d&env=demo

You really just need to make your fields large enough to accommodate the largest entry you might get.

Thank you for all your replies!

The document is being edited to allow any field to be placed outside of sentences with open space. A hybrid of its original layout and David's suggestion.

I feel having large spaces within sentences would look unprofessional for an organisation and am unsure how they may affect agreements'/contracts' validity, so the form-like layout seems the only option right now.