Skip to main content

We rent apartments, and in each leasing office is an iPad that is in Kiosk mode. We are trying to create a process roughly as follows:

• Someone enters office and indicates that this form must be created
  • Our employee utilizes pre-fill fields to enter some required data
  • The employee hands the person an iPad to finish filling out the form and collect a signature

Because the iPads are in Kiosk mode, we don’t have a good way for our employee to initiate the signing process. We had the thought of creating a PowerForm for this, but it seems that is not an allowable use case. What other options might we have for facilitating an in-person signing experience using an iPad in kiosk mode?

@TripleDavid - You can set up the iPad in Kiosk mode to Open an iPad app, such as Safari or your preferred browser.   Set up the browser to only open on the PowerForm link.   You can use a WebForm too.   It will be a better user experience.  Also, once the signing is complete on the PowerForm or WebForm, make sure to customize your Brand with the appropriate destination URLs once the envelope is completed.

I thought of doing something like that, but I get the error message, “Cannot create a PowerForm from the selected template,” when trying to create the PowerForm. The first role in the workflow is blank, so I know that’s not the issue. Doing some hunting through the discussions, it seems like PowerForms are incompatible with in-person signing.

Anything else I can try?

@TripleDavid

You do not need in-person signing with a PowerForm. The first recipient should be the person filling out the PowerForm and signing it. Assign him the “Needs to Sign” role and you should be able to create the PowerForm and proceed as suggested.

@Michael.Rave we need in-person signing for the business process, though. We want to have the residents/applicants perform the signing process on the iPad that is in kiosk mode. PowerForms were the only solution I could come up with to access the templates on a device in kiosk mode. I’m by no means tied to PowerForms, but I am tied to in-person signing.

@TripleDavid - They are already in-person signing at the kiosk.  You need to assign them the role of need to sign.  Why are you tied to the in-person signing?   Because of how it will show in the certificate of completion?  If you add the email address to the one signer on the actual form, the link to the PowerForm will go directly to the form.   Your employee can pre-fill the field and hands off the rest of the form to be singed and by the other person.   

@JohnSantos 

I could be wrong, but in-person signing would be the only way to accomplish what I’m looking for without adding in extra steps for our folks in the offices. Here’s a little more context that may help:

• We have many offices where this process will take place. The employee initiating the signing processes is also the internal employee that needs to add information to the form.
  • Because there are well over 100 employees that will need to initiate this process and serve as the internal role in the signing process, we cannot enter an email address in the template.
    • We would like to avoid the extra steps of initiating the process via PowerForm, then logging into DocuSign on another device to fill out the required fields
  • After initiating the process, the next step is for our employee to fill out required information on the form. This provides the information that the resident/applicant will agree to and sign off on

I may be thinking about this the wrong way, but in all of my attempts to not use in-person signing, it adds steps to the process that feel unnecessary.

@TripleDavid   Could your form be something like this → PowerForm  The resident/applicant would need to add their email at the time of signing.   Any of the employees could initiate the form and hand it off to the applicant to complete and sign.    You can also customize the “sender” of the PowerForm to be a generic user on your account (i.e. like Applications@yourdomain.com)

@JohnSantos thanks for putting that example PowerForm together for us. Unfortunately, that approach isn’t going to work for us because it seems that you have the PowerForm signer defaulted to a specific account (as I was never prompted to enter my name/email other than filling it out on the document itself). With that solution, all ~150 of our leasing offices would have their signed documents sent to a single email address. We have some concerns about the validity of those signatures, but we additionally lose the opportunity to easily email the signed documents to the signer. Using in-person signing, DocuSign prompts the signer to enter an address to send the completed document to. In this scenario, someone from our back office would have to read the form, and manually forward it to the email address entered on the form. Overall, the process isn’t very intuitive for our team and is creating a bit more overhead than we would like.

I think at this point we are just going to email the documents to the residents/applicants, as that gives us the signing experience and control over the process that we’re looking for.

Hi @TripleDavid,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!