Skip to main content

I no long have the option to sign a document myself when I am setting up a document in docusign. It takes me straight to the recipients page. I just want to sign it myself.

If you login to your DocuSign account and select New, do you not see the "Sign A Document" option? Even if you only have "Send an Envelope", you can use that, upload a document, add yourself as Recipient - Needs to Sign, drop tags, and Send. It should pop-up a prompt to bring you right to the signing portion.

Here is a link to the "Sign a Document"....https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/ndse-user-guide-sign-a-document

If you do not see "Sign a Document" as an option in your account contact DocuSign Support to find out why this is not available.

New just by default takes me straight to sending an envelope now for some reason. It used to take me to a page where i would select between sign a document and send an envelope, but now that page is gone and i go straight to the recipients page. I have signed 50+ documents myself over the last 6 months and just yesterday this became an issue.

Have you noticed any other changes in your Account? I looked as an Admin and found nothing specific to turning this function on and off per User or per Account. That usually means that this is a plan feature like Bulk Send. Any recent changes to the DocuSign Account type? Do other Users have this option but you do not?

There have been no recent changes to the docusign account type at all. I am the only user on the account and i paid for a full year subscription that is good until May. I just tried logging in on a different browser (safari instead of usual chrome) and still doesn't work. I have looked through every setting i can find to no avail.

My only recommendation is to create a DocuSign Support case in the instance, perhaps the feature was disabled by mistake. Maybe an old account brought to the New DocuSign experience. In any situation I think this needs support attention to resolve. Please post once it gets resolved on what the issue was.

Hi. I've just had exactly the same problem.

I've been using DocuSign perfectly happily for a week (admittedly on the free trial) and hadn't had any problems. Just last night when I uploaded a document to sign it took me to the 'email recipients' page instead of the usual page where I just drag and drop my signature.

However, once I go through the process of dragging over the 'signature' box (which is just a 'signature' icon, not my usual electronic signature) and click 'Next' it then does the usual process of putting that document in my in-box.

I can then add my electronic signature and download it as a PDF to my hard drive.

So Jonathan: don't despair. Just go through the steps and you have the same outcome as before: it's just that they've put a completely unnecessary step in at the beginning.

Perhaps this is a global change they made if these were both free trials. Did the free trial expire as I believe that "free" accounts change status after 30 days of the trial?

I just went through this exact same thing and here is the answer. You have to go through the motions as if you were sending the document to yourself via email. Put in your initials or signature fields, click "Next". When you get to the review and send page on the bottom right you will see a Sign Now button. If you click that it takes you directly to sign the page and it will not count against your monthly sends.

Good luck!

I wish they would make an option to turn this off. If I get a PDF someone sends to me that I want to digitally sign, I know have to send it to myself - adds more unnecessary time to complete me digitally signing. Hopefully they will add the option to turn this off, it was working great for me before the November change - might have to look at adobe sign.

This just happened to my and is driving me nuts. Do they do this to everyone after so many free signings? I even waited on hold for 36 minutes to have them tell me they changed the Docusign interface and that's the way it is now. But according to this thread, that's not true.

@Jeffrey West​ Based on my current Account interface and screenshots I have seen from other Community members there are two different interfaces. The new interface is called "Simplified Sending" which is outlined in this DocuSign article...

https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/dses-user-guide

The account I operate under is still the older interface, I could not tell you who or why different interfaces exist but based on the guide I provided it is to serve customers better. It has been my experience that the new interface does not have all the options of the old interface.