Skip to main content
How can I unsign a document where I'm the only signer?

So I think I need more details on this Use Case. So you sent yourself an envelope and you were the only Recipient. You signed the document, hence completing the envelope but now you want to reverse or change the Signature?

Exactly!

A completed envelope cannot be changed or modified. I suggest creating a copy of the original which basically takes the document and all fields and creates a new envelope. Then sign the new envelope in the appropriate manner and then I suggest delete the original.

Elementary question - is this step similar to opening the file, saving it with an alternate file name, then editing? I just want to make sure I'm clear!!

No, so you locate the completed envelope in DocuSign and go to the right dropdown where you see an option to "Create a Copy", this creates a new envelope but with the same document, same Recipients, same fields. You could replace the document or update Recipients and fields if you wish but you are not editing the document in DocuSign.

The original was an Adobe PDF file. In creating the copy, I then have the option to download the new document but when I did, it's still signed & I cannot edit!

If you created an envelope copy in DocuSign the document should have DocuSign fields but should act like it was never sent, did you perhaps sign this somehow in the PDF document before uploading it or did you upload the document that was completed in the original envelope? So do you have the document saved somewhere prior to it having the Signature added?

I edited an existing pdf file, saved on my computer. I then launched DocuSign, uploaded the document & signed it. I should know better (I do NOW!) but I did not save the completed file separately from the signed one (I overwrote the original). I'm sensing I may be filling out the document again tonight....

Many programs will throw an error if you try to edit an electronically signed document because of the very nature of its legality and security. I would suggest your approach which is to fill out the document again.

I understand & agree completely. Even a user would be able to change something, re-sign it & use it as proof for whatever. I really appreciate your help & guidance on this. I've learned some new tricks and I AM an old dog! Thanks again.

Glad I could assist.