Skip to main content
Question

'email address' itself as a e-signature

• 22 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi, it is Simon using DocuSign for more than 3 years. I have a conflict with my college about the 'signature form'. Normally they use a Signature reflecting the user's name, but sometimes others are using 'email address' itself as a e-signature. My question is to use 'email address' is invalid? Thank you.

Hello, @Simon 

Welcome to the DocuSign Community!

DocuSign eSignature uses other validations methods besides the email and signature’s draw.

In general, it does not matter the draw used by the signer to sign a document. Of course, it’s always better he/she uses their usual signature form (draw), however this is not crucial to make that document legally electronica signed because the Certificate of Completion (Audit trail document) will get other important info from the signer, the IP address for example.

Thus, if your customer is using their email address as the draw to the signature, it is not a problem.

On the other hand, there are other methods to validate the identity of a signer. Here you can see which methods are available to the DocuSign eSignature.

Let me know if that helps!

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

I really appreciate your prompt response. And I agree with your idea one hundred percent. Do you have any article from DocuSign to support us? I worry that my college may insist to hand over DocuSign’s report.

Regards,

Hello, @Simon 

Sure, we have.

Go to this link then select the country where you are based or want to verify the legal details.

You will get a page with all details and other links if needed to some specific articles.

I hope that helps.

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

Thank you so much for your help.

You’re very welcome @Simon! My pleasure!

I’d appreciate if you give a Like to the answer and mark as the Best Answer so we can make this question as solved.

Thanks a lot,

Alexandre

Hi @Simon,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!