Skip to main content

In DocuSign, is it possible to create a template that will auto-place the recipient's signature based on the text in the PDF document? I want the DocuSign template to be able to dynamically detect and place the signatures for all recipients automatically, so the person sending the envelope only has to worry about uploading the document and reviewing if the signature fields were placed correctly.

@Eric DocuSign does have Autoplace features but not sure if this is ideal based on your situation for Recipient Signatures.  If you already have a Template and that Template has a document associated (requirement) then when the envelopoe is created isnt the Template placing the DocuSign fields?  Is the person using the Template adding new documents?

Here is a link to the Autoplace feature

https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?bundleId=gbo1643332197980&topicId=ytr1578456405118.html&_LANG=enus

When a User starts a new envelope from a Template and the document has certain text that refers to an Autoplace custom field there is still a drag and drop of that auotplace field that needs to occur to place the field in the appropriate location (single or multiple).  I suppose I need some additional information about the exact procedure and why the Template does not already have the Signature fields placed.

@David.Schmitz Morning, David! There will be one dedicated user who will be uploading different Credit Memo PDF files, of the same template but unique context, on a monthly basis, with the PDF content already provided by different business departments. My goal is for the dedicated user to only upload the latest PDF memos, and for DocuSign to automatically map the 4 recipients who need to e-sign the PDF.

I hope that gives you a better idea, and I appreciate your help!

@Eric Content changes in a document can lead to some interesting situations with DocuSign field placement, especially if there are additions or subtractions which can change document length and therefore where the physical Signature needs to be placed.  

Are there multiple places per Recipient that need to be signed?

My first thought is using Overlay Templates so that one or more Templates can be applied over the documents added to an envelope to layer the DocuSign fields onto the document.  

Otherwise you would setup several Custom fields with Autoplace text to drop onto the documents to place the required Signatures, this would mean unique text per Recipient that requi8res signature and therefore 4 custom fields.

@David.Schmitz The 4 signature fields will be static, located in the same location and page on the document, and including the recipient’s name and titles for Autoplace to map them. 

As I am new to DocuSign, I'm trying to understand if there is a way to avoid having to upload a base empty template with the Autoplace mappings on the template, as this would require users to delete the blank template after they have uploaded the document with the content filled out to have Autoplace map the new uploaded document. I will take a look into the Overlay templates that you recommended in the meantime!

@Eric All Templates require a document, but when using an overlay Template the base blank document is merely used for matching purposes.  Generally speaking you create the Template with the blank document(s), add fields, then when you create a new envelope (Not from the Template but by selecting New > Create envelope) then you apply or choose the Template overlay.

@David.Schmitz Thank you for letting me know! This is what I was looking for, haha. Since the Credit Memo document's length and content are dynamic, I created a blank template of just the Memo approval page and mapped the DocuSign signature fields with Autoplace text.

When I create a new envelope and upload a filled-out memo that is over 20 pages long, DocuSign is not able to detect and match it to the template. I tried a second test by only uploading the same page, and it matched that time.

Is there a way to modify it so that DocuSign ignores the page length and focuses on the Autoplace mapping?"

@Eric We have a similar process with purchases and instead of autoplace we just created 10 Templates to accommodate the Signatures as long as placement is the same on the pages.  Other then dropping fields which is more time consuming in my opinion to just picking from 1 of 20 Templates that drops the right fields.