Skip to main content

I will try to keep this clear and concise.

I have a form that employees fill out when they have travelled for work and need reimbursement. This form does not belong to my group so I cannot change the contents of the form without it being rejected for processing so adding additional visible fields is out of the question. I’ve got the template mostly built out in DocuSign with the intention of turning it into a web form for everyone to use.

I’m making use of invisible (white text on a white background) “flag” text fields to control the showing or hiding of certain fields and rows based on users responses. The condition I’m trying to build is: depending on whether the employee traveled in state, out of state, or a mixture of both one or possibly two fields need to be populated witt the total cost of travel expenses split out into in state costs in 1291 and out of state costs in 1292.

There are formula fields called 1291 for in state travel costs, 1292 for out of state travel costs, and two additional text fields called 1291Both & 1292Both for when there is a mixture of in and out of state travel that requires manual calculation by the submitter (since there is no way to programatically know which lines are in state vs out of state travel without adding additional fields). The flag fields that control the display of these four fields are called 1291Flag, 1292Flag, & bothFlag.

My initial plan was to make a checkbox group in the web form that is not tied to a form field (so they won’t show on the final PDF) and give it the following conditional logic:

IF “In State Travel” is Checked Then HIDE fields 1292Flag & bothFlag

IF “Out of State Travel” is Checked Then HIDE fields 1291Flag & bothFlag.

IF “Both” is checked Then HIDE fields 1291Flag & 1292Flag.

I’ve since discovered that web forms apparently don’t let you hide a field more than once in any conditional logic rule. So since I referenced the bothFlag in my in state travel conditional I can’t reference it again in the next rule either via selecting from the auto complete or trying to type it in manually.

I’m having trouble coming up with a way around this that would still allow me to do at least some of these calculations for the submitter. We prefer to use calculated fields to reduce user errors in entry or user math.

Any docusign wizards here who have an idea of how I could make this work in the web form? Or am I going to have to make these two fields manually calculated and entered by the submitter?

Hello @gulf5724 ,

Welcome to the Docusign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!

I’m sorry to hear that the Web Form feature is not allowing you to do your intended workflow. I understand that you need to use conditional logic rules to show or hide fields depending on the selection of the recipient.

Have you ever considered using PowerForms instead of Web Forms?

With PowerForms, your business can generate on-demand, self-service documents for signature. You’ll be able to eliminate document preparation time (by using a pre-existing template), and easily pull collected data into your existing applications. A link can be generated that can be emailed, sent via SMS (on certain enterprise plans), or embedded into your website.

For more details on how to use PowerForms, please click on the link below: What is a PowerForm?

If you don’t have permission to create PowerForms, you should contact the DocuSign Admin at your company to see if it’s available.

Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Best regards,

Nathaly | Docusign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!

Hello @gulf5724 ,

Welcome to the Docusign Community and thank you for posting your concerns!

I’m sorry to hear that the Web Form feature is not allowing you to do your intended workflow. I understand that you need to use conditional logic rules to show or hide fields depending on the selection of the recipient.

Have you ever considered using PowerForms instead of Web Forms?

With PowerForms, your business can generate on-demand, self-service documents for signature. You’ll be able to eliminate document preparation time (by using a pre-existing template), and easily pull collected data into your existing applications. A link can be generated that can be emailed, sent via SMS (on certain enterprise plans), or embedded into your website.

For more details on how to use PowerForms, please click on the link below: What is a PowerForm?

If you don’t have permission to create PowerForms, you should contact the DocuSign Admin at your company to see if it’s available.

Best regards,

This does not answer the question I posed and comes off more as a sales pitch for powerforms than anything helpful.

Do PowerForms allow me to create conditional logic rules that can reference a single field more than once? If not then that is not a solution to my issue.

I figured out a way to actuate the flag fields with another field that does not show up on the final pdf form like checkboxes/radio buttons do. I’m still having an issue with the conditional logic though. for the two text fields that are to be shown by the unhiding of the bothFlag I am unable to select them in the conditional logic of the web form:

It’s also interesting because the logic was already built into the template before it was used to create the web form:

so the creation process stripped out that one condition without providing an error or explanation, and will not allow me to add it back in. They’re just regular old text fields so I’m not sure what it’s deal is.

Hello @gulf5724 ,

My apologies I did not mean it to come out in that way.

Web Forms currently does not support scripting functionality when specifying conditional rules nor does it support Formula fields as seen in the following article: Limitations and Considerations for Web Forms

PowerForms was mentioned due to the fact that it does not present these limitations and might fit your needs better.

Best regards,

Hello @gulf5724 ,

If you found my response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

It was not really helpful, I found my own solution finally.

Hello @gulf5724 ,

I’m sorry to hear that it wasn’t useful, however, I’m happy you were able to find a solution. I hope you have a great day!

Best regards,