Skip to main content

I’m mass sending a document through Docusign, but am not a contact for the recipients nor will I be following up on the document.  How can I change what email the recipient will see to another Docusign user before I transfer custody?

@Amy B 

You can actually use the Custody Transfer feature in DocuSign. 

Custody Transfer refers to the process by which the ownership or management of a document is transferred from one account or user to another. This typically happens when a document that is part of a transaction needs to be managed by a different party for various reasons, such as organizational changes, regulatory compliance, or continuing the workflow under a different administrator. Custody Transfer ensures that the document's integrity, history, and legal enforceability are maintained while shifting control to the new party.

The process usually involves both parties agreeing to the transfer, and it might require certain permissions or administrative rights within the DocuSign system to execute the transfer. This feature is especially useful in situations where documents need to remain in the legal custody of an organization even after individuals who originally managed them are no longer available.

If I transfer custody of the envelope before I finalize and send the envelope, will my recipient still see my email address since I created the envelope, or will the see the new custodian?  I’m not as concerned about the ownership of the envelopes per se, but rather the recipient’s experience.  Just want to make absolutely sure before I send 300 odd envelopes.  

@Amy B 

There are two options here (On Sent and on Completed) You want to setup the Custody Transfer on Sent.   This is a key step on the setup process.