Skip to main content

Doc won’t send - error message “Account does not have permission to set Allow Comments”.

I never set “Allow Comments” nor can find where to turn them off

@Concerned Residents Found a few past resolutions.

If you are a DocuSign Admin login and go to Settings > Comments and disabled, but do not see the Comments section, your may be using either the free/trial account or the five-user limited Pro account.

The Template may have been created under a Free Trial that had more available features. Copy the template, which you can find next to the blue "use" button in the drop down menu. By duplicating it, it is creating the template under your new account's settings and then try to use the Template to create the envelope to see if the same error occurs.

Hi Concerned Residents!

This error usually occurs when you import an eSignature template from another account, and this account that is importing the template does not have the feature “Comments” allowed.

There are to possibilities to solve it:

1. Someone with eSignature Admin profile need to access the Settings menu, and after that localize “Comments” at the left menu > Select Enable comments in envelopes sent from this account. Check this article for more information: Enable Comments on Envelopes
  2. If you can’t see this option, you’ll need to reach out the Customer Support team and ask them to check if it’s possible to enable this feature in your account.

I hope it was helpful!

Thank you all for your input.

It does seem this happened from creating the draft with the Free Trial, then using that draft after upgrading to the “$10 five-envelope / month” plan. 

I’d set up 3 other envelopes drafts (with the 99 max recipients for my large 295 recipient list) AFTER the “upgrade” with the max 99. Those all successfully sent, but quickly heard from recipients they were opening the docs but seemingly already signed by other recipients. 

I’d been with Online Chat Support earlier trying to resolve the original Comments Not Allowed issue, and they had me try and save these drafts as Templates. A little lost right now - any thoughts on how this happened with people getting sent docs just sent by others?

Thank you. 

Hi Concerned Residents!
It will depends how you created your templates. From what you said, it seems that you added 99 recipients to the same envelope, that is, the 99 people will sign exact the same document. If you were intending to send the same document but 99 times (one for each person) this procedure you performed was incorrect, and also you’ll need an account that allows you to send more than 5 envelopes/month.

Regarding the "Allow Comments" feature, this is actually another possibility, as in the trial version the comments feature is available, however in our personal plan it is not. Another possibility would be to check if the support team could enable this function on your account or perform a new account upgrade - I'm not saying to do this, I'm just suggesting some possible options.

Thank you Vinicius.

You hit the nail on the head. I’m trying to send the same document individually to a large number of individuals to sign individually. 275 people to be exact.

Does that mean 275 individual envelopes? Or is that what Bulk Send is for ?

New to DocuSign, so the mentoring is most appreciated 

Thank you Vinicius.

You hit the nail on the head. I’m trying to send the same document individually to a large number of individuals to sign individually. 275 people to be exact.

Does that mean 275 individual envelopes? Or is that what Bulk Send is for ?

New to DocuSign, so the mentoring is most appreciated 

Okay, so that means 275 different envelopes. You can do this using the bulk send feature to save time, but this will require you to upgrade to a plan that offers it (not included in all plans).
The other option is to upgrade to another plan that allows you to send this number of envelopes and perform manual sending - which can take time, as you would have to repeat it 275 times.

If you intend to send 275 envelopes, and if you have other future demands, I would advise you to contact the DocuSign sales team to check if they can offer you another plan that meets your needs, as based of this volume a web plan may not be the most recommended to you.

@Concerned Residents if you have an available time, you can access our free webinars (live or recorded) at this link: https://dsucustomers.docusign.com/page/all-courses#content-types_webinar,languages_english.

I suggest two for you: Eliminate Manual Tasks with DocuSign eSignature that explains about Bulk Sending; and DocuSign eSignature: Template Creation Basics that teaches how to how to create, use, and apply templates.

Hi @Concerned Residents,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.