Skip to main content
Can I white out a part of the document to add a text field over the empty space?

This sounds like you are looking to use what is called Document "Markup", please review the following DocuSign article on the feature...

https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/ndse-user-guide-document-markup

Is markup only available for the envelop recipient, or can it be used to edit a template? And if not, why not? Isn't that a basic function that you'd want to make available for customers?

"Markup" is a setting that can be enabled on an envelope or enabled on a Template. Templates are "used" and that creates an envelope. If the setting is enabled on the Template then the setting translates to the envelope and would allow for document "markup" on the envelopes created from the Template. Markup allows the Recipient(s) to make modifications to the document in the envelope.

So to be clear, are you saying that the administrator can use the mark up tool to make changes to a template before sending out an envelop? If so, I don't see any buttons or drop downs that give me access to the mark up tool. I'm trying to do the same thing that the original poster wanted to do, "white out" a word and replace it. It sounds like the recipient of the envelop can do that. I want to confirm if that admin can or can't do that as well when revising a template.

No, the markup is a option to Recipients. If the document needs to be updated because there is something incorrect or out of date then the document inside the Template should be "replaced" by whomever has the rights to Edit the Template which would include Admins or the User who created the Template.

Think of Markup as a negotiation tool between Sender and Recipients. But if the document is wrong before sending then the Sender needs to replace the document before sending or the Template needs to be updated (document replaced) before creating another new envelope.

First, thank you for the incredibly quick replies!

Second, PLEASE pass on that adding this simple "white out" feature for the admin would be huge (especially since you already have it available for the recipient). Any one of our documents could have dozens if not hundreds of fields added in Docusign. I believe what you're saying is that the only option is to make the correction on the original document, and then once again spending hours to populate all those fields again in Docusign, rather than making a white out option available, taking about 2 minutes to correct.

Not exactly...so let me talk through an example. Lets say you create a Template A, with Document A uploaded.....you then add 100 fields to various locations on that document. Everytime you use the Template A you are sending document A with those 100 fields. Now lets say the Document A changes slightly regarding Terms and Conditions or even a small misspelling. The owner or Admin of the Template A can take and upload a Document B "replacing" Document A based on the small spelling correction (for example) and this keeps the 100 fields. They may need a slight adjustment if the Document B shifted information but its a small change.

Ah, ok, makes sense. Let me give that a shot. Thanks once again!

So the important part is using the "Replace" option. If you "delete" Document A and then upload a new Document B then you will lose the DocuSign fields you added so I would suggest testing on a Test Template.

Got it. Thanks!

How can i white out a text on a partial signed document. If i am the initiator of a document , i have now recieved the document signed by one party and i want to make a change in the name of the second party so need to white out the orginal name mentioned and put a different name. I have changed the signing order , but cannot find any way to white out the name and titel mentioned of previous signer.