Skip to main content

I'm trying to send a contract out and when I hit the send button I get - Account does not have permission to set allow comments - help please!

Is this an issue with all envelopes? Was this working previously without error? I have not seen this error but it seems related to the Account versus the Envelope settings. Basically "Comments" are enabled at an Account level and then can be disabled at the envelope level as needed. Perhaps due to an Account change the "Allow Comments" was turned off and a Template or Envelope still has the setting enabled. So I would create an envelope go to Advanced Options and disable "Comments" to see if that resolves the error on Sending. Then look to investigate the issue to see if this was disabled at the Account level, you would need to check with your DocuSign Admin. Here is some information on the overall Comments and settings required to enable....

https://support.docusign.com/en/guides/ndse-admin-guide-comments-settings

I had this issue and after 30 minutes of looking for the "enable comments" setting (which I couldn't locate anywhere), I started over with a new envelope / document and it worked fine. It may have been because I started out with 0 sends when I created the first one and upgraded at the end. Once I deleted the original and started fresh, all was good!

Thanks for the info. I just upgraded my account today and tried to send an envelope I worked on during my free trial but received the same message that my "Account does not have permission to allow comments" so I created a new document like Mandee noted and it worked! Only problem is I had 5 sends to begin with and now I'm down to 3.

Thanks all for your help! So, in the end I did figure out that the document I was trying to send was a protected or secured document. I downloaded the pdf contract from an association of Realtor website. So, for me my work around was to print it out and then rescan the document as pdf. This worked for me. If anyone has a better solution please advise! I do appreciate your help!

I have spent all day on a document and now it appears that the only way to get rid of this error message is to start again? I sincerely hope this is a joke... 😞

I had the same problem initially however if you (with admin access) go into Settings>Sign & Send>Comments there is a check box there to tick "enable comments in envelopes sent from this account" - once I did this I was able to save and send.

Unfortunately the above setting is not in my account. I created a doc and sent for signing using a trial. Trial expired, and then even after paying - I edited a recipient email address and got all the way to the end and got the OP error.

The answer currently until docusign fixes it is recreating your doc

There's no need to completely recreate the template or document. For those looking for the setting to fix this issue, an account administrator can fix it it.

Sign in and select the Settings tab. On the Settings page, look in the left-hand column for the Signing and Sending section. Select Comments. In the Comments settings, there are three options. Selecting "Enable comments in envelopes sent from this account" and "Allow senders to override" cleared the error on my account.

If you do not see the Settings tab, try logging in as an administrator. If you log in and see Settings, but do not see the Comments section, your may be using either the free/trial account or the five-user limited Pro account. (I'm using an enterprise account.)

That's what Docusign said, but it turns out I did not have these settings in the first instance, so I had to start all over again. Which they finally admitted after many emails/phone calls.

I am having this issue now, started with a free trial then upgraded to the personal one to allow me to send out for extensive signatures. I started with a new document, resaved the original document from a scan and still the same issue waaaa

I have the exact same problem. The "Comments" section does not appear in the settings and I guess this happens to everyone if you used the free trial version first where "Comments" are allowed and then switch to paid personal tier. It is a shame they still haven't fixed this. Unfortunately, I paid yearly, otherwise after this experience I would have not contiued with my subscription.

I called with this same question. If it is a template, all you need to do is "copy" the template, which you can find next to the blue "use" button in the drop down menu. He explained it was because the old template was created under the free-trial's settings, so by duplicating it, it is creating the template under your new account's settings. Hope this helps!!

I did what customer MG did above and it worked. Copy the template, save it and it worked.

As MG, we did, the way to fix this is COPY THE TEMPLATE and it will save as a file under your paid account (assuming you used your trial and signed up). Then use the new template and it should work fine.