Skip to main content
Question

Protecting / securing an image in a template

• 13 September 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi there, 

Is there a way to protect an image in a DocuSign template from being clickable / copied? It is possible with individual PDFs by using security settings, but I do not know how to do this with DocuSign template. For example, if we send out bulk letters that include a “signature” (an image) of an executive, we would like to ensure that image cannot be easily copied. We understand that anyone can take a screenshot and crop, but we would like to at least take the step of making it unclickable.

Thanks in advance if anyone has figured out how to do this with DocuSign templates for bulk delivery.

Hi @D.Wood,

Thank you for reaching out to the Docusign Community.  

Your main concern here will end up being how that image is protected in your document, prior to its upload to Docusign. Mainly due to how your document will be managed during the signing session. 

Whenever you upload a document to eSignature, it is converted to PDF and all data on it is burned into the document, flattening it in the process. This prevents any interaction with text or any other objects that could have been part of the original version of the document. However, this could change whenever the document is downloaded, in the case of objects in your original document, such as images or links that could become clickable. It is due to this reason that from my perspective, your main concern in this scenario should be how these images are configured in your document, as anything that happens in Docusign and during your signing session will be burned into your completed document and cannot be interacted with.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Hi Alejandro,

Thank you for your input; it is greatly appreciated.

Is there a recommended process for configuring images in the source document to ensure that they are not clickable after being converted by DocuSign? We have tried a few different methods of securing the images in the source document, but the images convert in DocuSign to being clickable. 

Best,

Hi @D.Wood,

Thank you for following up.

Under these circumstances, I would recommend to manually print to PDF your document prior to its upload to eSignature. This will help ensure all data in your document is flattened and will prevent your signer from interacting with it. For detailed steps on this process, see:

Print to PDF

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Hi Alejandro,

Thank you for the input. 

Our team has tried the Print to PDF method but unfortunately, the images are still copiable when the final document is viewed in Adobe Pro. Do you experience a different result?

Best,