Skip to main content
Solved

Including form field in email subject

• 22 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello, I have an account number that is an entered field within an envelope.

It is being requested that this account number be included in the subject line of the email reminder that is sent to the next signer. Is this possible?

I have been looking,but have not found information regarding this. I found how to include a signer’s name in the subject line, but this was not acceptable. Thank you! Salvador

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello @sgarciav,

Thank you for reaching out here, we want to welcome you to the Docusign Community, I appreciate you bringing your question to this Community.

I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you, we are committed to providing you with the best service possible. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, I understand you want to know if you can include a form field in the email subject

The closest option would be To add merge fields to a template message subject with the use of Use Merge Fields in the Template Email Subject to Customize Envelopes. When you use a template to send envelopes, if you use the email message subject as is, the envelopes will all have the same subject, making it hard to identify a particular one. This can be especially problematic if you are using the bulk send feature to send the same documents to many different people at once.

To customize the subject for each envelope sent from a template, use merge fields to automatically insert custom data. The template's email subject becomes both the email notification message subject and the name of the envelope as shown in the sender's and recipients' accounts.

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some of the options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@sgarciav 

Hi Salvador,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to add a document custom field that a recipient fills in to the email subject. The reason is that the document custom fields are confidential and cannot technically be accessed when the email message is created by the system. 

You can only use envelope custom fields in the email subject, but these can only be set by the sender when creating or correcting the envelope or via API. Envelope custom fields are part of the envelope metadata.

Badge +1

Thank you both!

Christopher, I presented the user with the Merge Fields option, but he wants specific information from the form.

MRave, OK, I understand this limitation. Thanks!

SgarciaV