Skip to main content
Question

Fraudulent SIGNED document in my account marked "Completed"

I received an email claiming I completed a Docusign document with an invoice for $399.69, AND the “completed” document is IN MY ACCOUNT, marked as “completed” even though I never signed it!!   I reported the email as spam and flushed it from my system. I want to report the fraudulent document, but in following the instructions on the “how to report fraud” page, I am unable to get to a place that offers “Report Abuse” via any link available in connection to that FRAUDULENT completed document.  I have sent 2 separate complaints to the security@docusign.com reporting address, and 1 separate complaint to the spam@docusign address, as directed on your website.  I have heard NOTHING and this FRAUDULENT “completed” document remains in my account register. It is EXTREMELY alarming that a fraudulent document was processed by Docusign and is sitting in my account and nothing is being done about it.  I need to know if my account is compromised.  I need to know what is being done about this actual intrusion, and I can’t get anyone to respond.

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Victoria-nola,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Docusign Community. 

I am sorry to hear about this fraudulent transaction, but I will point you to the best resources to contest this signature’s validity.

In most legal contexts, a simple “electronic signature” will not be considered valid, as this signature workflow doesn’t prove the recipient’s identity.

For most monetary transactions, it will be required to use an Advanced or Qualified Electronic Signature, which includes an extra recipient verification step.

For more details on this topic, see:

Types of Digital Signature: AES, QES, SES, explained

What is the difference between a Digital Signature and an Electronic Signature | Docusign

Are Electronic Signatures Safe?

Accepted Trust Service Providers: Europe

If the signature in question was not a Digital Signature, its validity can be easily contested in court.

I would also like to encourage you to update your email and DocuSign passwords, as these are the 2 envelope access methods used by default by the application.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Badge +1

I would like to know exactly how a fraudulent document got accepted by Docusign and placed in my account.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I would like to know exactly how a fraudulent document got accepted by Docusign and placed in my account.

You can check in the history of the document how it was signed and when, also check the Certificate of Completion, which can be downloaded from the envelope and gives you insight into the transaction.

If you didn’t receive an email notification to sign the document, which is the default method,  it could have been embedded signing or a PowerForm.

I recommend to immediately change your account password as well, as someone else might have logged into your Docusign account or email account to perform the signature.

Opposed to the reply from Alejandro, the simple or standard electronic signature is valid for most (>99%) transactions and only a few use cases actually require a more higher signature type as mandated by specific laws.

Badge +1

Thank you.  I still don’t understand how a spammer is able to bypass security and place fraudulent documents in my completed box. I changed my docusign password and looked at the certificate.  There were several other people’s email addresses who were also included in that fraud.  I left the doc in my account all this time in case Docusign was interested in following up on this clear violation of trust and fraudulent activity on your program that is supposed to promise security, but I’ve waited long enough and have now deleted it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@Victoria-nola 

You may want to enable two factor authentication for your Docusign account to secure your login. I don’t think they bypassed Docusign security, it is more likely they got access to your email account or password, if it was remotely signed. There are many other options as stated above that can lead to an envelope in your account.

However, if the sender does not put any additional security in place and you are not required to log into Docusign eSignature, the envelope can be accessed just by the email link. So securing your email account with a strong password is something to make sure, for every account, being it Docusign or your email.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

​Hi @Victoria-nola,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested?           

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find. Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!   

Badge

Hello! How can I get the certificate of completion if the document was not sent to

my email but my name

and signature was there?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The only alternative would be accessing the envelope directly on the eSignature dashboard.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Badge

Hi Roberto,

I would like to know how to access the envelop directly on the signature dashboard? how can I do it ? What software should I install? My name is in the agreement and I know the certificate id no but the agreement was not sent to me to sign it. Please advise. 

• Roberto - The only alternative would be accessing the envelope directly on the eSignature dashboard
Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Misha,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

You can access an envelope on the eSignature dashboard if you own an active Docusign user, in Agreements>Inbox. As described below:

Why are envelopes missing from my inbox?
Otherwise, you will need to access through the envelope activation link, or by entering the security code included at the bottom of the email notification in the Envelope Access box in the following section of our website: https://www.docusign.net/Member/authenticate.aspx

Best regards,

Badge

Hello Alejandro,

The docusign document was NOT sent to me so I won’t get a security code. Somebody from the list of signers signed my name on that agreement and I just found out when I saw the document. I have my name on it BUT I didn’t sign it and didn’t send to my email address. How can I get the Certificate of Completion?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Misha,

Thank you for following up.

Under these circumstances you will need to reach out to the sender or a signer in the envelope with access to it’s URL or an active Docusign user.

Best regards,

Badge

Hi, she doesn’t want to give it and that is the problem. Can I get it from docusign?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Misha,

Due to privacy related limitations, Docusign Support cannot access an envelope’s documents, data nor it’s Certificate of Completion. Only the sender or a recipient in the envelope will have access to these documents.

However, if the signature was not completed by you, it will not be accepted if it’s validity is contested in court. As the sender would have to present the Certificate of Completion as part of their evidence.

Don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime and I will lend a hand as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Badge

Hi Alejandro,

My problem is the sender has been in legal world for 37 years and she doesn’t want to provide the certificate of completion. What can I show to the court to contest that I can prove that I really didn’t sign it and the sender never send the document to my email address? 

Please help. I don’t want to suffer to give the person 19 years of support which I cannot live my life. Pleaee advise.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Misha,

Thank you for sharing more details.

The only way to prove that you didn’t sign the document will be by confirming that the IP address in the Certificate of Completion doesn’t match one of your IPs. It will be required for the sender to provide this as part of the documents given to the court.

Due to privacy limitations, Docusign Support cannot access a completed document or its certificate through the application’s back end, making the sender and signers in the envelope the only users with access to them.

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator