Skip to main content
Question

Error Verifying Signature on PDF document - Non-EU certificate

Hello everyone,

I signed a PDF document with DocuSign to add a trade name to my business in a French government portal, but I received the error:

Your signature is not valid:
The summary was signed with a non-EU foreign certificate whose certification authority is not included among those defined in the eIDAS trusted lists. Therefore, your signature is not considered valid as we cannot find the certification authority of the certificate used among the eIDAS trusted lists.
We invite you to contact your signature provider to obtain a compliant signature.

Could someone kindly give me advice on how to resolve this issue?
Thank you very much!

Kindest Regards,
Franz B.

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello @frabu,

Thank you for reaching out here, we want to welcome you to the Docusign Community, I appreciate you bringing your question to this Community.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this might cause you, we are committed to providing you with the best service possible. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, I understand that you are getting an error while verifying the signature on a PDF.

To better assist you can you provide the envelope ID?

There are several ways to locate a Docusign envelope ID depending on your role in the transaction. You can find the ID near the top of your document, in the Envelope History, by selecting the EnvelopeID link in the Agreements tab, or the URL when viewing the document details. Additionally, you can add the Envelope ID as a column in the EnvelopeReport. However, please note that if you are not an Account Admin, you can only report on envelopes you sent. Locate a Docusign envelope ID

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Badge +1

Hello Christopher,

Many thanks for your quick reply! I really appreciate it.

You can find the envelope ID In the image below. I hope this help.

Feel free to ask further info.

(I'll answer quicker then the next one).

Kindest Regards,

Franz B.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello @frabu,

I hope you are doing well. The error that the system prompted matched the envelope data, the envelope 1109c94a-9cf1-4ffa-9be2-28df7dcac52e was completed without using the Standard base Signatures signing methods.

Electronic signatures are a broad category that includes all types of electronic signatures, while digital signatures are a specific implementation of electronic signatures that use encryption technology.

The terms and meanings of electronic signatures can vary based on region and international regulations, such as the EU's eIDAS regulation. Docusign offers Standards-Based Signatures (SBS) that comply with local and industry e-signature standards, including Express Signature, EU Advanced Signature, and EU Qualified Signature. Electronic and digital signatures, for more on digital signatures, read about how it work.

The envelope history does not show any indication that the SBS was used to complete this envelope, however, to confirm is this the correct envelope ID?

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Badge

I have the same issue here

Badge

Hello,

I feel I got the same issue with this DocuSign Envelope ID: 6A5EC1FB-7F9F-4DC8-AFBE-9C167A7DAD99

Please let us know what is wrong and how to solve it with DocuSign eSignature.

Tx

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello @kos and @PascalLX,

Thank you for reaching out here, we want to welcome you to the Docusign Community, I appreciate you bringing your question to this Community.

We are committed to providing you with the best service possible. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, I understand that you are getting an error while verifying the signature on a PDF with the French Government portal.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this might cause you, to clarify, did you complete an authentication when you signed the envelope?

Are you getting the same error message?

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in specific Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic. Contact your account administrator for more information about which options are available for your account. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. Compare eSignature plans & pricing.

Best regards,

Badge

Thank you @Christopher.Alpizar for your answer.

I got the reason from the support by phone,that explains me I need a special DocuSign package to get the eIDAS signature i.e. it is not available on the trial test certificate nor with the Independant/Standard offer.

Best regard.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello @PascalLX,

Thank you for reaching back, glad to hear that, let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Badge +1

Hello  @Christopher.Alpizar , 

thanks for your advice.  

I can finally state better my needs about the digital signature; I actually need to sign a single PDF using the digital signature “Qualified Signature” of the European eIDAS standard. The use case is just to add a commercial name for my french individual company (“physical person”) in France. 

I can apply the signing algorithm by myself, as I did other times when I was a developer using other resources (JWT etc), so it seems what I only need is a digital certificate (containing a public key) from a CA compatible with the eIDAS standard.

Can DocuSign provide such certificate? How can I get it? I suppose DocuSign is registered as a valid eIDAS CA.

I suppose I have to provide my identity card and biographical info to DocuSign and after validating these info DocuSign will maintain a private key (or will provide me my private key with a support/device). As I’m European I suppose it’s easier to do that in Europe, in particular Italy or France, right?
There is a DocuSign France (or Italy) office I can ask? 
The French state provide by default the digital identity to each citizen, but I only have the Italian nationality and my company is registered in France… 

Many thanks.

Kindest Regards,
Franz.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello @frabu,

Thank you for reaching back, Docusign offers the DocuSign Standards-Based Signatures for the European Union, to be in compliance with the regulations with  eIDAS, depending on the type of signature that you are requiring you will need to be submitted to a different type of authentication, more information at https://www.docusign.com/how-it-works/electronic-signature/digital-signature/digital-signature-faq

For more information about the cost of acquiring this service, you must contact our Sales Department at https://www.docusign.com/contact-sales.

Best regards,

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @frabu,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful. If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find. Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,