Skip to main content
Question

Completion certificate

• 23 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Does the Completion certificate legally required to evidence that a document has been validly signed with electronic signature?

Can I rely on a document executed with Docusign with valid signature panel in Adobe/PDF but for which I don’t have the completion certificate available?

Many thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @LAF,

Welcome to the Docusign Community!

We are glad to have you here and can't wait to help share as much knowledge as possible.I understand that you are looking to better understand how electronic and digital signatures are validated, and I will clarify the topic for you. In most legal contexts, a simple “electronic signature” will not be considered valid, as this signature workflow doesn’t prove the recipient’s identity. 

For most high-value transactions, you will be required to use an Advanced or Qualified Electronic Signature, which includes an extra recipient verification step. If the signature in question was not a Digital Signature, its validity can be easily contested in court. For more details on this topic, see:

Types of Digital Signature: AES, QES, SES, explained

What is the difference between a Digital Signature and an Electronic Signature | Docusign

Are Electronic Signatures Safe?

Accepted Trust Service Providers: Europe

If you have the completed document and it was signed using a Digital Signature, the whole ID verification process can be validated within the signature’s certificate in Adobe, there are few details that might be needed in DocuSign eSignature’s Certificate of Completion. Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using Docusign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @LAF,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested?  If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find. Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!