Question

Use pre-set tags in documents

• 22 May 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi all, I have a question that probably has been asked before 😬 but I haven't been able to figure out yet. We currently use AdobeSign for signing documents and that tool offers the use of so called tags in our documents. So in our documents (various layouts) we added tags that are automatically recognized by Adobe where to put the signature fields. This is an example: {{SigB_es_:signer1:signatureblock}}.

We will move to DocuSign and need to amend all our documents, but I haven't been able to figure out how this works in DocuSign. Can someone guide me in the right direction how to set this up? I've read multiple articles on the Support pages but I haven't managed to get it working. Thanks in advance for the help.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello, @John van L. 

You are welcome to the Docusign Community!

It is possible to do that using the Auto Place option.

Watch this video to learn how to do it:

And this another one:

Let me know if I answered your question!

Best,

Alexandre

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@John van L. - DocuSign uses what are called "Anchor Tags" (sometimes referred to as "Text Tags") to achieve the same functionality as AdobeSign's tags.

• DocuSign anchor tags are defined using the \[*\] format.
  • For example: \s1\ would be an anchor tag for the first signer to place a signature.
  • Once the document is uploaded, DocuSign will automatically detect the anchor tags.
    You can then assign roles to these tags. For example, if \s1\ is used for the first signer's signature, you would assign it to Signer 1.

Here’s a breakdown of common anchor tags you might use:

• Signature Field: \s1\ for Signer 1, \s2\ for Signer 2, etc.
  • Initials: \i1\ for Initials of Signer 1, \i2\ for Initials of Signer 2, etc.
  • Date Signed: \d1\ for Date signed by Signer 1, \d2\ for Date signed by Signer 2, etc.
Badge +1

Thanks all for your help so far. As far as I can tell this all refers to Templates? Or am I wrong? We work with hundreds of different documents. Setting these up as templates is not feasible. In Adobe we could simply add a tag in any document and any place we want and that is recognized when we upload for distribution. Is this also possible in DocuSign without creating templates?

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @John van L.,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you need further assistance, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.

Badge +1

Hi Christopher, last week together with a colleague from our IT we had a call with two DocuSign representatives and we gave them a demo wrt our questions. They will go back to their technicians and will come back to us. There was not a straight answer available.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey John, you need to save your tags as custom fields. This allows you to define tag properties and the anchor text Docusign should look for to auto place the fields where appropriate.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @John van L.,

I hope you are doing well, thank you for reaching back, if you need further assistance, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | Docusign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.