Skip to main content
Question

Keeping portions of a form fillable PDF unlocked after e-signature

• 18 June 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi Everyone- I am a fairly new docusign user. Wondering if it’s possible to lock only a portion of a page on a form fillable PDF after e-sig has been applied? The reason I ask- I have created a one page form fillable document that has a ‘top’ section a new vendor is required to fill out (that requires a signature) and a ‘bottom’ section that is for company use only (I’ve attached a screenshot example).

For a form fillable PDF, once the the e-sig is applied, all fields are locked from further edit, understandably. In this case though, I would like to be able to continue to fill info into the ‘bottom’ part of the form which is separated by the “For Acme Inc Use Only” section, rather than print, then wet fill in, then re-scan as a pdf.

Is it possible to only lock the fields above the black separator line? Thank to you in advance for your read and assist.  :)

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Awwphooey,

Welcome to the Docusign Community!

We are glad to have you here and can't wait to help share as much knowledge as possible.

I understand that you would like to split your document’s fields between 2 recipients, and I will provide more details on this topic.

The best course of action would be assigning only the fields at the top to the vendor’s recipient role, while assigning the rest to a second recipient role in the signing order filled out with your name and email.

The recipient assigned to the field can be switched on the Field Properties menu, located at the top right corner of the screen (after clicking the field to edit). You are welcome to select multiple fields at once by clicking and dragging your mouse, similar to how you would do it in a PC.

For detailed steps on the process, see:

Edit Field Properties

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using Docusign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Awwphooey,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!   

Badge +1

Hi- Have been OOO. Will take a look today. :)

Badge +1

Hi Alejandro - no, not quite. Let me re-explain. The information below the black line doesn't not need a signature and has nothing to do with the info above the black line. What the person is signing for is only in relation to the information they input above the black line.

Currently, if someone fills out the info above the black line and e-signs, then all fillable fields become locked- the ones above the line and the ones below. I’m wondering if there is a way for the fields below the black line to remain unlocked and still fillable after someone has e-signed for the information above the black line.

I’m guessing the answer is no.  :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Awwphooey,

Thank you for following up.

The only way to keep a field editable after it has been signed is if it was set as a Collaborative Field, which allows other signers to update the data entered in the text box during their own signing session. All changes made through this feature will restart your signing order, in order to get the previous recipient’s consent on the changes. For more details on this option, see:

Set up a Collaborative Field

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in certain Docusign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic. For more information about which options are available for your account, contact your account administrator. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. 

Compare eSignature plans & pricing  

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!