Skip to main content
Question

How to prevent unintended users from viewing a DocuSign document link

• 24 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Is there any way to prevent unintended users from viewing a document when a DocuSign email with the “Review Documents” link is forwarded to another user?

I want to prevent an unintended recipient from receiving a forwarded email containing the DocuSign document link.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@madsanders 

To prevent unintended recipients from accessing a document when a DocuSign email with the “Review Documents” link is forwarded, you can utilize several security features in DocuSign to ensure that only the intended recipients can view and interact with the document.

Access Code: You can set an access code for each recipient. The recipient must enter this code to view and sign the document. This means that even if the email is forwarded, the new recipient won’t be able to access the document without the code.

Authentication Methods: Use additional authentication methods such as SMS authentication, phone call authentication, or knowledge-based authentication (KBA). These methods require the recipient to verify their identity using their phone or by answering personal questions before they can access the document.

Recipient Locking: This feature locks the document to the email address of the original recipient. If the email is forwarded, the new recipient will not be able to access the document because their email address does not match the one specified for the recipient.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @madsanders,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!   

Badge +1

I also found a setting to prevent users from forwarding completed envelopes.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I also found a setting to prevent users from forwarding completed envelopes.

Please note that when this feature is selected, the 'Forward' option for completed envelopes is hidden in the sending experience.  The user can still forward the email.

Badge

Hello @JohnSantos, in regard to the following:

>Recipient Locking: This feature locks the document to the email address of the original recipient. If the email is forwarded, the new recipient will not be able to access the document because their email address does not match the one specified for the recipient.

Where is this setting found?  And how would this work? 

I’m aware of the template setting for senders to not be able to edit and/or not be able to delete a recipient, so the sender is locked from changing/deleting the recipient.

However, that recipient forwarding their [Review Document] email from dse@docusign.net to a new person would always allow that new person to click [Review Document] and sign as the original recipient, to my knowledge. Unless an access code/SMS/knowledge base second factor prevented the new person from viewing the document.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Sheilagh O'Hare,

Thank you for sharing your question.

I am unaware of any setting that would allow you to prevent the email notification from being accessed through a different email address than the one you set for your recipient. We offer options to limit how your signers adopt their signature such as the “Lock Recipient Name” option, or how the manager recipient types will be able to interact with existing recipients in your envelope. Unfortunately neither of these options will work for this scenario. As an alternative, I would suggest looking into implementing an extra Recipient Authentication method such as Phone Authentication or ID Verification, to prevent undesired parties from accessing sensitive documents in your envelopes. For more details on these topics, see:

Signing Options Limits
Recipient modification settings
What kinds of Recipient Authentication are available?
Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator   

"Select as Bestbelow if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!   

Badge

HI Alejandro,

Thank you! It sounds like JohnSantos’ description of “Recipient Locking” is not quite accurate.

I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks,

Sheilagh