Skip to main content

I have about 2700 people that will be receiving this template and each recipient will have a different client name. My goal is that the email to the recipients has their name in the body of the email (e.g. Hello Bob) and then I want to let them know in the document that this is regarding X client of yours. How would I go about doing that? Thank you!

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community.  

I understand that you are looking for a way to prepopulate data into document fields included in your envelope, and I'll gladly share more details on the topic.

In order to accomplish your goal, the easiest option would be to send your envelopes as part of a Bulk Batch.

With Bulk Sending you are able to send a bulk batch of envelopes based on a template and define the recipient details in a .CSV file, where you will also have the option to include data to be included in existing fields within the template you used to start the batch.

For detailed steps on how to send a Bulk Batch, see:

Bulk Send for Multiple Recipients

Regarding your second question, at this moment we only offer the option to include the recipient's name as part of the email subject line and not the email body.

For more details on this topic, see:

Use Merge Fields in the Template Email Subject to Customize Envelopes

As an alternative, you could customize the email message within the .CSV file instead.

Note: Some advanced features and options are supported only in certain DocuSign plans. Your account plan might not support some options discussed in this help topic.  

For more information about which options are available for your account, contact your account administrator. Or, visit our Plans and Pricing web page for more details on the features included with your plan. 

Compare eSignature plans & pricing 

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using DocuSign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards, 

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator 

"Select as Bestbelow if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue! 

Thank you  This was very helpful.

I was able to do the bulk send but I still cannot figure out how to add the merged fields. The only place I see to add a merged field is in the template itself but I don't know how to call back to the CSV file?

If I was going to put the custom email in the CSV file, which column would I put that in?

Any further help would be much appreciated!!

Hi,

Thank you for following up.

I am glad to see that you found the resources I shared useful.

Regarding the template merge fields, you will want to add them as part of the template's email subject line and it will automatically populate the right recipient details once the envelope is sent, there is no need to include the field as part of the CSV for it to be included.

Please don't hesitate in letting me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards, 

Hi ​  - I think I'm close but it's still not quite working. Here is the template I'm using for testing:

ExcelTemplate 

In DocuSign, within the template editor, I added the merge field and then named it "Organization" on the data label to match the template:

FieldInDocuSign 

But when I send it out as a test, it still shows blank:

WhatEndUserSees 

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Also, I tried adding ddOrganization]] and ] Client::Organization]] in the subject line of the email and it doesn't pick it up from the merge :(

Hi,

I appreciate you keeping me in the loop.

The easiest way to ensure that your column headers are accurate and will work as expected is to generate your .CSV file out of your existing DocuSign template.

After "using" your template to start an envelope, you will get the option to download your .CSV file by clicking Bulk Send>Upload CSV>Download CSV template.

By starting the envelope from the template you will allow for the application to generate customized headers based on your recipient roles and field's data labels.

You can find detailed steps on this process, here:

Generate a customized CSV file for the bulk recipient list

Don't hesitate in letting me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime and I'll follow up as soon as possible.

Best regards, 

Hi,

Also, about the email merge field, this field must be inserted by clicking the merge field button on the template's email subject line.

There you will have the option to pick whether you would like to insert the recipient's name or email.

For more details on this process, see:

To add merge fields to a template message subject 

Best regards, 

Thank you ! I think we're getting closer here. I followed your steps and am seeing this now when I try to send (it's preventing me to send:

clienterror

Hi , I tried recreating this and it worked. Thank you for all your assistance!

Hi,

Thank you for confirming that the issue has been resolved.

I am glad to hear that you found the resources I shared useful, please take into consideration selecting the comment as the "Best Answer" if you find that it helped you solve your issue. 

And, please don't hesitate in letting me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible.  

Best regards,  

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator