Skip to main content

Use case:

One mandatory checkbox (not a group) must trigger a validation rule for completing two fields:

• checkbox unchecked: the two field become visible and must be filled in without any other action on the checkbox which will remain empty
  • checkbox checked: the two field must not be visible

If I put the checkbox as mandatory I’m not able to skip it in case the user want to uncheck it. Is there a solution for covering both scenario without skipping the checkbox?

Hi @Andrea Giussani NFON !
Are you looking for this scenario attached?

If yes, you can create a rule using the Conditional Fields for the Checkbox (see below). Please, access this article to get more information: Define a Conditional Field

Thanks Vinicius, this is what I’ve set up in my template but in addition to the validation rule:

1. if I put the checkbox with a validation Select at least 0 it will become optional and users can skip it
  2. If I put the checkbox with a validation Select at least 1 it will become mandatory but it must be filled in and so the user has to fill in both the additional field and the checkbox

Is there any chance to make the field mandatory but given the possibility to unchecked it?

Thanks Vinicius, this is what I’ve set up in my template but in addition to the validation rule:

1. if I put the checkbox with a validation Select at least 0 it will become optional and users can skip it
  2. If I put the checkbox with a validation Select at least 1 it will become mandatory but it must be filled in and so the user has to fill in both the additional field and the checkbox

Is there any chance to make the field mandatory but given the possibility to unchecked it?

Hi @Andrea Giussani NFON !
Exactly this way that you’re looking for, unfortunately, it doesn't work. Basically it's a Boolean rule, either it's mandatory or it's not (like only true or false).

I believe the best option would be to use the Conditional Field, where if a recipient selects an option, other options will appear and you can make these "new options" mandatory.

Hi @Andrea Giussani NFON,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!