Skip to main content

Hallo everbody. This is Francesca and newbie with Docusign.

This is my problem: I have sent through Docusign a contract to a client (without signing it).He sent it back to me signed and now the contract states “completed” and therefor I cannot countersign it. How can I do? Thanks so much!

@Frabbre First and foremost you cannot alter an envelope once it has been fully completed, so in terms of this envelope it is considered completed since all Recipients took action.  

Best option is to send a new envelope with the same document but add both the client as a Recipient and yourself as a Recipient.  Add fields for both you and the client in the areas where you and the Client need to take action such as Signature.  Basically both you and the Client would be set as “Needs to Sign” and then place fields based on the Recipient areas where action is needed paying attention to the field color which represents the Recipient who need to take action.  In the upper left of the tagging screen you can change to the proper Recipient and add the appropriate fields. I recommend also setting a Signing Order so that you can make sure you sign after the Client or vice versa based on the workflow you need to follow.

Thanks David. Very clear and helpful. Do you think that t is not possible if I use the document already signed by the client and I upload it again in Docusign as “I am the only one to sign” so that I can countersign on that same contract  and deliver it back to the client?

Thanks @David.Schmitz  Very clear and helpful. Do you think that t is not possible if I use the document already signed by the client and I upload it again in Docusign as “I am the only one to sign” so that I can countersign on that same contract  and deliver it back to the client?

@Frabbre I would not recommend that, as if this is a legally binding document then the process of downloading the signed document and uploading it back to a new document somewhat breaks the continuity of an envelope.  Lets say for example you uploaded the signed document and then you added another document or added a DocuSign text field that includes some type of addendum or change to the original document, that could be seen as somewhat fraudulent (even if not your intent).  I would recommend a new envelope with the unsigned document and send it to you and the Client for Signature, therefore keeping and maintaining a secure, verifiable process.  You can copy (copy with field data) the original envelope so it contains the same fields but add yourself into the new envelope with fields.  A “copy with field data” would move across any choices or text that were added by the Client but does not copy a Signature or Initials.

@David.Schmitz it makes totally sense. You are right. Thanks a million.

Hi @Frabbre,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.