Skip to main content

I recently sent an envelope with several signers. I then learned that one of the signers was no longer at the organization and the email address had been deactivated before I sent the envelope. I didn't receive a notification of any kind. Is there a setting that can notify me if the email address is no longer active?

Thank you,

Beth

There are notifications to the Sender of the envelope regarding failure to deliver an envelope. Notifications are set on a per User basis, specifically the Sender notification is called "Envelope delivery to a recipient fails". Although this is enabled typically be default you want to check your individual User setting in My Preferences > notifications. The envelope failure can often times take hours to truly show a failure depending upon the response from the mail server. Some deliveries are retried and there are even times when email addresses are not truly disabled and therefore the notification is delivered and does not show a failure.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out here in the DocuSign Community. 

If the email address was in fact deactivated, then the message would have bounced. This is tracked in the DocuSign eSignature dashboard through the "Failure" delivery status.

If the status did not reflect any delivery failure, then either the email address is still active or the message is being forwarded to a valid/active address.

You can find more details on this topic, here:

Why am I getting the 'Failure' status after sending an envelope?

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using DocuSign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards, 

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator 

"Select as Bestbelow if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue! 

Thank you for your response. As an FYI I did send an actual email to the address and it was undeliverable, the person has been gone for two weeks which we were not aware of. I do have the notification option checked when an an envelope fails. I checked the dashboard report which doesn't show a failure. Is there another setting I should check?

Thanks,

Beth

There seem to be two possibilities here. The first is that the email address was still active at the time of the first envelope, or the second that the email server still has not responded that the DocuSign notification was undeliverable. You could try a test envelope to the same address to see if the response for failure occurs. However, I have seen some email servers take 3 days to respond that the email was undeliverable because of retries. There is no other setting that can be updated or changed that would impact the failure outcome.

Hi,

Thank you for following up.

I agree with David, there is no other setting to be enabled in order to correct this behavior.

However, if you have any doubts regarding the status of a specific notification you are always welcome to request a Support Expert to double-check it on the application's back end on your behalf.

https://support.docusign.com/en/contactSupport 

If you are not able to open the case on the same page, you should scroll down to More Support Options and select "I can't reset my password or don't have an account." you will have the option of filling out the form or calling Support. 

Please don't hesitate in letting me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards, 

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator 

"Select as Bestbelow if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!