Skip to main content

Hello, Wanting to know if the envelope is circulating and a couple of people have approved and/or signed, what happens when there’s a change within the document? When the document is revised, can it be uploaded again to the existing envelope and add the people who have already approved and/or signed to do the step again without voiding the initial envelope or do you have to void the initially envelope and start over?

@KMancini Once one Recipient has taken action on an envelope the associated document is locked into place and that specific document cannot be removed or replaced or altered.  Now you could add a new document but you would then need to alter the entire workflow process so that the Recipients would be allowed to review and take action on the newly added document, I consider that messy and time consuming and generally a bad practice.  The best option in my opinion is to “void” the original envelope, then create a copy of that original envelope so you get a copy of the Recipients and fields etc, then you replace the old document with the new document and send this envelope back through the envelope workflow. It is a cleaner way to get Signatures and approvals and not see any future repercussions in an envelope that is convoluted and potentially confusing.

Thanks for that.

I’m trying to understand all the procedures, do you happen to have a link to how to ‘copy’ and existing envelope that will in the end become ‘void’ so that all the Recipients and fields etc are copied?

Thank you

@KMancini Here is a link to “Copy with Field data”, at the bottom of that page is a link to “Copy envelopes” as well.

https://support.docusign.com/s/document-item?bundleId=oeq1643226594604&topicId=wfc1582569802343.html&_LANG=enus

The basic difference is that the “copy” will create a new envelope with the previous Recipients and fields but it would not pre-fill the data that was entered by each Recipient (minus Signatures and Initials), where the “Copy with Field data“ does pre-fill the data that was entered by Recipients.

Thanks - so you would then delete the attachment and add the new revised document to the copied envelope, creating a new envelope?

Not sure what ‘data’ entered by Recipient means or looks like, can you explain?

Thanks again, very helpful.

@KMancini Once you have copied the envelope, you would select the Triple dots next to the associated document and then select “Replace” which switches the current incorrect document with the new correct document.  If you “Delete” the old document you will lose the DocuSign fields.

On the document lets say you have Recipient 1 who fills out there Name, Email address and Phone into DocuSign fields.  If you select “Copy” the envelope, then the DocuSign fields will replicate but no information that was placed in that field by Recipient 1. If you select “Copy with field data” then if Recipient 1 had filled out Name, Email and Phone in the old envelope that data would be transferred to the new copy of the envelope so the Recipient(s) doesn’t have to retype that data.

thank you - very helpful

Hi @KMancini,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested or if the information that was provided was useful.

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Christopher | DocuSign Community Moderator

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue.