Question

Need Optional Signer Functionality

• 25 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I have a document that sometimes needs one signer, sometimes two, potentially as many as four.  I have created a template with four signers.  I would like to be able to fill in the number of signers when I use the template; unused signer fields would result in only one, two, or three signers on that particular use of the document.  As it stands, there is no such thing as an optional signer, and the signer group functionality doesn’t handle this situation.  So, I have to create four versions of the exact same document:  one with one signer field, another with two, another with three, and another with four.  I really only want the signer FIELD to be optional, not the signer.  In other words, if “signer 2” is filled in when the template is used, then “signer 2” is a required signer.  If “signer 2” is left blank when I use the template, then there is no “signer 2” for that particular document envelope.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@purposeguy - This is a good use case for conditional routing.   If you know what fields are triggering the need enable the next signer.  Using Conditional Routing (docusign.com)

Badge +1

Thanks, this could indeed work.  I’d need to edit the conditional routing groups each time I used the template, but that’s not a problem.  The problem is that the need for conditional routing depends on something that doesn’t appear in the document.  It’s a sales agreement, so the field would be something like “number of owners”, which isn’t part of the legal language in the document.  Is it possible to create a field that gets filled in by signer #1 but that doesn’t appear on the document?  Then the rules for optional signing groups could trigger off that field without messing up the text given me by my lawyer.

An easier solution would be to create an additional signer type:  “needs to sign if filled in”, meaning that if a name and email address are provided for signer #2, then signer #2 must sign.  If no name and email address are filled in, then signer #2’s fields are ignored.  Conditional routing is a very complex solution to a simple problem.