Question

Horrendous support for Checkbox Group Validation defects

Badge +1

For a month now, DocuSign support has been taking me around in circles. There is a major defect in the checkbox group validation, By selecting the “Exactly 1”, or “No more than 1” validation option, the end-user should be able to check only one box out of the selected Checkbox Group (and not be able to select multiple check boxes), however this is not working as designed. The end result is the user can select (and check) all the checkboxes in the group. To make it worse, the Start/Next button function individually highlights each and every checkboxes in the group during the signing process.

I have shown this issue via screen sharing three times now, and thereafter the support team fails to send the issue to development, fails to update the ticket, and then sends me an email days later asking if I am still having an issue.

This has been an endless cycle of the following:

1. The issue is shown to support via a screen sharing session.
  2. Support completely agrees the function is not working and states they will have development correct the issue.
  3. Days later an email is sent to me asking if I still need assistance.
  4. I respond letting them know the issue was not fixed and the issue needs to be sent to development.
  5. I get on a call with them and see nothing has been addressed, and am told again the issue will be sent to development, however it never actually is.
  6. The cycle restarts again with an email asking me if I still need assistance on how to set up checkboxes.

I never write bad reviews but this is the absolute worst support I have ever seen, and the worst managed support team I have ever encountered.

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @DDIRC !

I'm sorry you're having a bad experience with our product and customer support. Let me see if I can help you with it!

Firstly, I just performed a simple test using checkbox groups from my demo account, and I was unable to replicate the error you have reported. Maybe it's something specific to a use case you're using. Just to double-check, you are adding new check-boxes starting from the plus sign (+) and not adding them individually, right? This is the correct way for you to create a check-box group and use validation. Please check this article (with a video) showing how to correct add this field:

I sent you a private message asking for ticket numbers opened with the support team. From them, I can try to check if customer support can escalate your ticket.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @DDIRC,

I hope you are doing well.

I would like to confirm if you were able to solve your issue by utilizing the solution that was suggested? 

If so, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find

Otherwise, feel free to let me know and I will gladly help you address the situation as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Alejandro R. | DocuSign Community Moderator   

"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!   

Badge +1

The Checkbox Validation is not working correctly. By selecting the “Exactly 1”, or “No more than 1” Validation option within the new Checkbox Group, the end-user should be able to check only one box out of the selected Checkbox Group (and not be able to select multiple check boxes), however this is not working as designed. The end result is the user can select more than one checkbox in the group, which is not correct behavior.

I have explained this issue at least 6 different times now, and shared my screen with your support team multiple times showing them this issue. Each time after watching my screen your support representative fully agreed the checkbox validation is broken for checkbox groups. I have created three separate templates and all three templates have this exact same issue with the checkbox group validation.

This is not a user issue of any kind. The issue is with the DocuSign Checkbox validation. From here your development team needs to correct the issue.

In the interim the only workaround is to accept the issue (that the users will be able to check all the boxes), however the only good thing is they will not be able to complete the document until they go back and uncheck the additional boxes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @DDIRC,

Thank you for following up.

I apologize for any delay generated by our Support Team. 

Please share your case IDs as part of your next comment and I will gladly look into this and escalate it appropriately. 

Regarding the checkbox validation issue, I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue neither in demo or production, when using select “Exactly or “At most” 1 in my validation rule.

Taking this into consideration, if you have tried using these options and have failed to prevent the signer from completing the field when selecting multiple checkboxes, the issue could be escalated to engineering for further investigation as an account specific issue.

To do so we would need a recording of the issue and a list of affected envelope IDs to be included in your support case.

It is important to share the recording and any account specific details as part of your case to prevent any personal information from being compromised, while adhering with Community Guidelines.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance with this. 

Thank you for using DocuSign, we hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! 

Best regards,

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!

Badge +1

You might have misunderstood.

1) The issue is the user can check multiple checkboxes can be selected, (which is the defect).

2) The user will not be able to complete the document until they go back and check only one box, (so that is the “workaround” as we would not want the document to be completed with more than one checkbox). 
3) But the issue of them being able to check more than one checkbox should really be fixed.

It is unfortunate that you cannot reproduce the issue as I can reproduce it at any time. Support has been on calls watching my screen while I reproduced it for them. Development needs to correct that part of the issue.

The case number is 13118203

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @DDIRC,

Thank you for sharing more details on the issue.

The behavior you describe would be the default way in which checkboxes work within eSignature.

Using the validation options to limit the group’s answer to be 1 will be the best path available at the moment, without using radio buttons, which will serve a similar purpose in the end.

If you find that these fields do not meet your needs, feedback that can improve our users’ experience is always welcome. 

I encourage you to consider submitting your idea to be reviewed by our development team for possible implementation.

If you’re a DocuSign Administrator for a corporate plan, you have the additional option of filing your request through a support case, or by reaching out to your Account Team. 

Otherwise, please share your thoughts with our development team by emailing your request to 

feedback@docusign.com.

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will address them as soon as possible. 

Best regards,  

Badge +1

Thank you however the issue remains, you might not have understood my post above.

The user can check multiple checkboxes (when the checkbox Validation is set to “exactly one” within the Checkbox Group, which is the defect). I appreciate your response however as I stated above I have opened multiple tickets with no real resolution. The only part of this that does work is the user cannot complete the document until they go back and deselect the erroneously multiple selected check boxes. They should not have been able to check more than one box in the first place when checkbox Validation is set to “exactly one”!

Also, (respectively), there is no point to further respond to this post until your developers to review and actually correct this issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@DDIRC

As already stated this works as designed and is expected behaviour. The user is able to tick more than one box, but unable to continue until the validation criteria is met, which means he has to untick some checkboxes until the validation criteria is met.

If you want them to be only able to tick a single value, I recommend to use the radio button instead of a checkbox, which will have the behaviour you are looking for by default. It will not allow to select more than one value in the user interface.

Badge

I’ve been having the same issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi Monica, 

Thank you for making us aware of this situation.

Checkboxes are not required fields by default, you can control whether or not these should be completed, as well as the total checkboxes needed for the signer to complete the Checkbox Group in Field Properties>Validation.

If you want the Checkbox Group to act close to how a Radio Group would, you can pick “Exactly or “At most” 1 in your field validation setup.

However, this will not prevent your signers from being able to select multiple boxes during the signing session, it will only force them to uncheck them before the group can be completed.

If you are looking to allow only 1 option to be clicked at the same time, you will need to look into the Radio Group feature instead.

Let me know if you experience any further issues or have any other questions, and I will look into them as soon as possible.

Best regards,   

Badge

@Michael.Rave I was having issues with the check boxes as well. Thank you for suggesting the radio feature.  This was a good solution to get the form to perform like I needed it too.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @Amanda Finnegan,

Thank you for following up.

I am glad to hear that you were able to use successfully radio groups for your use case.

We would really appreciate if you could mark a comment as the post’s Best Answer.

This helps other users find the solution to the issue in the future.

As always, don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime and I will lend a hand as soon as possible. 

Best regards,

Alejandro R. | Docusign Community Moderator  

Please click "Best Answer" below if you find my reply to be a valid solution to your issue!