Question

Conditional Fields

Badge

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to trigger drop downs based on selection for 2 fields and am getting stuck on the “1 conditional field” per drop down. Here is what I want to accomplish. 

field 1: Drop down list of 1-10

1-8 would trigger field 2 to appear. 9 & 10 would not. (NEED HELP HERE)

Field 2: Drop down list of 1-6 

Current setting is “if field is 1, then show Var1” so on and so forth for all 6 numbers. 

Field 3: Drop down list of 

6 separate drop downs (Var1 - Var6).

Any Ideas? I am newer to DocuSign and any help would be appreciated. 

2 replies

Badge

The only way I found to achieve what you are looking for is to make each answer of Field 1 associated with 10 separate read-only text fields, one for each dropdown value prepopulated with either 1 (for values 1-8) or 0 (for 9 and 10).  So for dropdown Field 1 when

• 1 is selected, read-only text field 1 becomes conditionally visible with its prepopulated 1
  • 2 is selected, read-only text field 2 becomes conditionally visible with its prepopulated 1
  • 3 is selected, read-only text field 3 becomes conditionally visible with its prepopulated 1
  • and so on
  • 9 is selected, read-only text field 9 becomes conditionally visible with its prepopulated 0
  • 10 is selected, read-only text field 10 becomes conditionally visible with its prepopulated 0

Then you create a formula to sum all the text field values and check if the value >=1.  The formula result is 1 when true. Since only one value can be selected from the Field 1 dropdown, only one text field will be visible at any time with either a value of 1 or 0. So the formula summing the text fields = 1 when 1-8 is selected in dropdown Field 1, and false if either value 9 or 10 is selected in the Field 1 dropdown.

Now you can set conditionally on the formula field to show dropdown Field 2, only when the formula is 1.

Since Field 2 is also a dropdown with values 1-6, you can set conditionally on Field 2. I do not know of a way to have the conditional Field 3 VARs in a dropdown field. But you can make each VAR its own text field, and then set 6 conditional rules on each of the 6 values of Field 2 to show each VAR text field in turn.  You can be clever if you like and overlay the 6 VAR text field on top of each other so they effectively take up the same real estate. 

• 1 is selected, show text field VAR1
  • 2 is selected, show text field VAR2  
  • 3 is selected, show text field VAR3
  • etc

To test if it is working, you need to send an envelope (preview doesn’t show formula calc in action). Recommend you design in DocuSign demo account first so as not to eat into your envelope quota.

I did a quick template design of this functionality and happy to email the json file to you if you share your email to me in a private message (for some reason I can’t upload the zip here even though it is an allowed file type). You can then import this json template into your DocuSign account to try out.

Here’s 3 screenshots to give you a visual too. In this I left the text fields and sum formula in red text so you can see the behind the scenes function output.  But once you know it is working, these 10 text fields associated with each value of the Field 1 dropdown, and the sum formula can be hidden from the recipient view of the document by making the font color white.  

Badge

Maybe others have a simpler way to do this - be interested in responses too.