Question

Certificate not accepted as document updated after signing

• 10 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hello all,

I sent an envelope with QSE standard but when I received the envelope back, on Adobe it said ‘Signed and all signatures are valid. Document was updated after signing. Open Signature Panel to view the document change’. Due to this status, it is not accepted with our stakeholders, however all signers have stated that they didn’t change anything and just clicked sign. This is now the case with several documents. Has anyone experienced this or know anything about it?

Thanks!

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Kevin ZSE 

Which signature type did you user? Can you provide a screenshot from the error in validation?

Some PDF validators show a warning if a QES envelope also included non QES certificate, like the DocuSign platform. Typically this is not an error message and just an information which can be ignored.

There is the possibility to disable the DocuSign platform certificate, if you have a separate account for QES. You can request this account change by opening a ticket with DocuSign Support. This is not recommended if the same account it used to send out standard electronic signatures, where the DocuSign platform certificate is essential to detect tampering with the document and it is the only certificate present.

Badge +1

Hi there,

We used QSE. We downloaded the documents separately from the envelope post signing however the certificate on the PDF says it was changed, although everyone who signed said they just logged in and signed as usual. 

Picture attached

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Kevin ZSE 

The good thing is that is says all signatures are valid. I assume the changes are within non protected areas of the document. Can you open the signature panel and drill down to where it states what was actually changed and send another screenshot of that message of what has actually been changed? Thank you!

I think there is also a link available to View to the previous version, which did not have these changes.

Badge +1

So unfortunately our external stakeholders won’t accept the document as it says changes were made after signing. Picture of side panel attached.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@Kevin ZSE 

This is probably due to the “Annotations Created” and “Form Fields filled in” I can see in the screenshot.

I think “Click to view this version” is the above mentioned previous version of the document.

Badge +1

Hi,

Yes but it appears that the changes are someone else signing, however that’s obviously expected when there are multiple signers. So when clicking on ‘Click to view this version’, it’s signed by only one person. This is only a new issue and has only started to happen in the last 2 weeks, but anytime a document is signed by more than one person, it has the disclaimer ‘document changed after signing’, which is then not acceptable for our external stakeholders. The change is a second or 3rd person signing. I’ve downloaded previous envelops and they are now also showing the same issue, previously they were fine. Has anything changed on your side recently? Or maybe Adobe has made a change.

Thanks

Badge +1

Problem is on Adobe’s side as previously downloaded files have the same issue.

Apologies for bothering you and thanks for your time!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello @Kevin ZSE ,

If you found the provided response to be a useful solution to your question, please mark it as the best answer by clicking “Select as Best” to make it easier for other users to find.

Best regards,

Nathaly | DocuSign Community Moderator
"Select as Best" below if you find the answer a valid solution to your issue!