Casual DocuSign User
mtherien
Accepted Solution

This User lacks sufficient permissions. Fail to resolve SendOnBehalfOf user

I am new to using your API, so maybe I am doing something wrong.

I get the following error message when calling CreateEnvelopeFromTemplates:

This User lacks sufficient permissions. Fail to resolve SendOnBehalfOf user

I checked the user that the code is using and it does have the "Send On Behalf Of Rights (API)" right checked.

I'm out of ideas, do you have any? 

WTP
DocuSign Team
WTP

Re: This User lacks sufficient permissions. Fail to resolve SendOnBehalfOf user

The "initiator" has to have "Send On Behalf Of" rights.  But this error looks like it is saying the user that the envelope is being sent on behalf of (the ultimate owner for the envelope), cannot be resolved.  The SOBO user must also be a member of the initiator's account AND must have sending rights.  This error is implying that the user cannot be resolved to a member of your account.

Take a look at who you are sending on behalf of and make sure you have their email address (or user ID if used instead) correct.  If it is correct AND they are an active user in your account, then update this post.  Again, make sure they are in the Production account and not just in the Demo account.

HTH

Casual DocuSign User
mtherien

Thanks for your response.

I'm not following your response and its probably because I'm not understanding all of the pieces.

I'm not sure who the initiator is.  I assume it is the account that I am using to login to the API.  If it is not, then I don't know where I should be setting this.

The receipients our not users in our system, but external email addresses.

To add another confusing point to this conversiation.  My Service Reference in Visual Studio was created with the dsapi.wsdl and my calls were made to the api.asmx endpoint (which gives me the error above).  If I make the endpoint point to the dsapi.asmx endpoint, I get a completely different error that has nothing to do with DocuSign (I think).  So I'm not sure what is the correct endpoint.  The documentation references DSAPI and API and is confusing.

To loop back to what I am doing...

I am creating an document that will be signed by the first signer in an embeded web page.  The first signer is someone that has been authenticated in our system, but not a user in DocuSign.  The initiator of the document is a "generic" account in DocuSign, which I assume to be the account I use to login to the API with.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

WTP
DocuSign Team
WTP

[ Edited ]

Ok, so there are more things going on here...

First, the dsapi.asmx endpoint is ONLY for use with HTTP Header authentication.  You need to insert something like this into your HTTP Header:

X-docusign-authentication: <DocuSignCredentials>

<Username>member@account.com</Username>

<Password>SomeReallyHardPassword</Password>

<IntegratorKey>FAKE-958469c8-fd5c-4d3d-bea2-53f1234f7f95</IntegratorKey>

</DocuSignCredentials>

If you want to use HTTP Header authentication (here is a link to a blog post on how to do this in .Net:  Create DocuSign HTTP Header Authentication in .NET), then your Service ref is correct.  But, if you don't want to edit code to insert the authentication, delete your Service ref and start over, pointing to the api.asmx endpoint. 

The api.asmx is for use ONLY with WS-Security UsernameToken (SOAP Header) authentication.  VS handles this via configuration (app.config or web.config).  You can check your generated config file with the ones in the SDK.  

It doesn't sound like you are using SOBO.  Get your authentication (above) working correctly first and see if this problem goes away.

Casual DocuSign User
mtherien

It turns out I had some problems with how I was authenticating.  The "UserName" wasn't formatted properly.  

I also found out the correct WSDL for soap is:https://demo.docusign.net/api/3.0/api.asmx?wsdl

Things are working much smoother for me now.

Thanks for your help.